I want to hs but my husband dosen't want me to!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wrightno
User

I want to hs but my husband dosen't want me to!

Postby wrightno » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:48 pm

:(
natasha w.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Why does he not want you to homeschool?

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:51 pm

My husband felt that way at first, as well. In fact, when I first brought it up he said, "I don't even want to talk about homeschooling!" So much has changed since then...

I prayed about it. He found out some people he liked at work homeschooled their children and asked them a few questions about it. We went to a curriculum fair together and he saw that everyone was "normal." He eventually said we could try it for a year, and after that - we were both hooked.

Don't be discouraged. Things can change.

What are your husband's objections?

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:27 am

Mine was the same way. He had said "no way" for a long time, but I was never really organized in my reasoning.
I took several days and made 2 lists for him...one with the pros and cons of homeschooling and one with the pros and cons of public school. I was super honest, and the lists were quite long. (Yes, there are pros to public school and yes, there are cons to homeschooling.)
I approached him in a very calm, non emotional way and presented my cases. After he saw the lists and heard what I had to say, he agreed to finishing the year at home. (We started homeschooling in November 2004.) After that first "partial" year, he was convinced.
Best wishes. :)
Jill

wrightno
User

Hello:

Postby wrightno » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:36 pm

natasha w.

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 am

Homeschooling is way more old fashioned. It wasn't until the 19th century that compulsory schooling in a classroom became widespread. Before that, family groups were in charge of their kid's education.
Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

Lorelei Sieja
User

Reluctant Spouse

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:08 am

Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

FFH
User

Homeschool Dads

Postby FFH » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 am

I can appreciate your husband's position on homeschooling. It's normal to question the unfamiliar.

I'm a homeschool Dad, and I had reservations at first too. That was over 10 years and 5 children ago. Now my wife and I help others get started homeschooling! How ironic!

The advantages far out-weigh the disadvantages. Google "advantages of homeschooling articles". There are plenty there to digest. Some of them may help your husband as he considers homeschooling.

Who loves you child more than you do? Who wants them to succeed more than you do?

Find other men in your area who are part of homeschooling their kids, check out co-ops or homeschool groups in your area too. Even if you don't get involved with the group long term your sure to find some friends. That can be so encouraging.

Blessings!
Randall & Karen Webster have been enjoying the advanage of homeschooling with their 5 children since 1999. They offer a FREE 5-part mini course on their website http://www.frustrationfreehomeschool.com

Ophelia
User

Re: Hello:

Postby Ophelia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

okiron
User

Postby okiron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:25 am

- Rina - Discovery Toys

Mother to: 1 child, 1 dog, 2 cats, 1 rabbit.

millerfamilymayhem
User

Postby millerfamilymayhem » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:37 pm

sandysand
User

Postby sandysand » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:38 am

I have the same problem, my husband says our dd should be at school with all the other kids, but with the area we live in I feel like she could get a better education at home since our schools are so under-funded. :( I just have to keep making my case.

Return to “Getting Started”