Question re: my 3 year old son

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lorelei
User

Question re: my 3 year old son

Postby lorelei » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 am

Hi all. It's been a while since I have posted and I come to you with a question about my youngest son. We are currently homeschooling our oldest son (6) and each day during school my 3 year old will sit with us some and he knows all of his colors, can count to at least 20, knows the alphabet (wouldn't recongnize them but can say them all), can write a capital D (his name is Dalton), can write a circle, and a number 1. I think it would make school time a lot easier for me if he would sit in his desk and do work and he is showing an interest. Well when my oldest starts first grade in August or September I thought about starting a 4K program with Dalton. The only thing that I wonder about is that I already have his kindergarten materials ordered (I did them at the same time as I got my other childs so that the teacher material and all would work for the same books) I know that in 4K he would learn his letters..to identify them and know their sounds and to write them. Well the program we are using is Abeka...the first 70 lessons in Abeka kindergarten is just that. His birthday falls in August so when I start him with a pre-k curriculum he will have just turned 4. I seriuosly have thought about using the Kindergarten Abeka program just to start it and see how he does. If he has trouble then I can just stop and start it again later. I guess my biggest thing is what if he does really well and hangs in there is it crazy to have a child start first grade when he has just turned 5 years old?? I mean, I want them to do well but I don't want them graduating when they are 14...kwim? My oldest son is just the opposite..he has a late birthday so we started him with kindergarten just this past August and he turned 6 in September. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Lori, proud mom to Hunter (6) and Dalton (3)

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:16 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

lorelei
User

Postby lorelei » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Ramona
User

Re: Question re: my 3 year old son

Postby Ramona » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 pm

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:02 pm

This "what stuff at what age/grade" was one of the reasons we decided to homeschool. Our oldest is usually doing things before he's "supposed to" and our youngest is quite the opposite. We wanted the freedom to introduce things when we thought the kids were ready for each thing. Whether that be a grade or two "ahead of time" or a couple grades "behind". So I hear what you are saying, and I don't think its crazy! Although I know its kind of "weird" to think you have a five year old doing first grade work...if that is what the five year old is ready for, then why not!? It might all even out at the end, too. So you may not have to worry about a 14 year old graduating. You never can tell what will happen!
Peace:
It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

lorelei
User

Postby lorelei » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate it. It does make a lot of sense and I will start him while he has an interest and see how it goes...he might need 2 years of kindergarten or he might be ready as can be for first grade when he is 5. Being fairly new to this it's hard for me to remember just how much flexibility that I have.

sunnie_skys
User

Postby sunnie_skys » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:16 pm

I dont think it is crazy if he is ready. My son was 4 and doing first grade work. He just completely skipped over K because he already knew it all. Thats why we homeschool.
Sunny

AFmom
User

Earlybird kids

Postby AFmom » Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”