How Do You Start HomeSchooling childern

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:23 am

How Do You Start HomeSchooling childern

Postby I_Dont_Know » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:31 am

Hi I am 14 And My dad and mom are trying to get me homeschooled but how would u start that cause see we are haveing alot of problems with my school :(you see like to day this kid thow a meatle beltbuckle at my side and it hurt me bad and me haveing surgery and stuff aint good so ya but how would u start homeschooling a child?

User avatar
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: The Fireswamp

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Your parents need to find out what the legal requirements are in your state. One way to do this is to check with Home School Legal Defense Association:

User avatar
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Missouri, US

Postby Theodore » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

1) Find the legal requirements for your state. You can get info on that from HSLDA, as elliemaejune said, and depending on what state you're in, the requirements may range from just a letter of notification, to record-keeping and yearly testing.

2) Find or put together a curriculum. There are many homeschool curriculum providers, and probably the best way to find out which curriculum to go with is to take a look at a few and see which you like best. Homeschool conventions or local homeschool groups can help with that:

3) Do the work, and if necessary, keep a brief record. You don't have to follow the school year schedule - many homeschoolers work year-round and do less hours per day (3 is probably average for core subjects). One big advantage of this is you have more time for extracurriculars and/or a job. Or you could do a month on and two weeks off, or whatever schedule you like best.

If there are any subjects you can't handle on your own, online or community college courses are an option. I highly recommend community college for things like lab science and Calculus, and online courses will do fine for some other things.

4) Take nationally standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DSST - for as many subjects as you can. While a portfolio of work is usually accepted at colleges, the simplest way to prove you know your stuff is just to take a test. You're more likely to get college credit with test scores in hand.

Return to “Homeschool Law”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests