Im having ANOTHER problem......

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MOMS
User

Im having ANOTHER problem......

Postby MOMS » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Married to Big Hondo <~ luv this guy ;)
StevieRay (12)
Sato (8 )
Mia (6)
Baby Hondo (4)

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Spelling comes with practice. My 8 yo. does spelling practice using aaaspell.com (she gets her list from this site too)

She has letter tiles and will play with them spelling the words. using letter tiles helps her break the words down. She can break them apart and focus on phonic and sight sounds. He had the word give one day to spell while writing something, when I told give is spelt G-I-V-E, she said that can't be right, that is gIve (saying the I as a long I sound instead of a short sound, I explained that this words is a sight word and doesn't follow the long I rule.

Phonics is often still needed in 2nd and 3rd grades. I recommend the http://www.starfall.com website as a practice for any child. My dd still goes to starfall at times but it is for fun now.

She copies the words 4 times each (she hates to copy them and 10 times brings on tears!, so we do them 4 times each)

She also put them on index cards and will study them. look, cover or turn over, see it in her mind, check it, if she got it, then moves on, she does this slowly to be able to see the word in her head.
We also practice the words together prior to her test, if she seems unsure of the word's spelling, I will slowly say each sound and ask her what letter... she usually gets it.

She does well on spelling now because she gets to practice all week.
Sharon

Return to “Getting Started”