Curriculum - does the school district supply guidelines?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

teach2012
User

Curriculum - does the school district supply guidelines?

Postby teach2012 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm

RE rules about home schooling.

Does the school or district give beginners any kinds of guidelines or lists of topics /subjects that must be taught (re subjects there will be citywide tests on)?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 pm

All you have to do is look up the legal requirements for homeschooling in your state. Some states say that you need x hours covering x subjects; some states also require yearly standardized testing, in which case whatever's on the test is the core material you should be covering. The web site for the state department of education will have info on what's in the test, and perhaps past exams you can practice on.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 am

If you go to the Home School Legal Defense Association's website, you can read the laws for your state. Here is the link -

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

PottersDaughter
User

Postby PottersDaughter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Thank you to the OP for this post. I'm in Louisiana, and really the only thing the HSLDA site says about my state is that I can either operate as a homeschool or private school. Private school must be in session for 180 days. No outline of what children in each grade should be taught etc....

I like the idea of a practice previous test. I'll have to look into that.

Anyone else from LA? LOL
Brand spankin' new HS mom to DS8 (2nd grade) and DD6 (1st grade).

Return to “Getting Started”