getting them to do the work

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tash
User

getting them to do the work

Postby tash » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 pm

my daughter just turned four. a couple of weeks ago I got the book 'teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". I like it. She says she loves it. She begs me to do it with her every day (sometimes twice a day). But when we are actually doing it she wiggles, doesn't look at the letters, refuses to say the words right, etc. I have tried standing up and moving while we do some of the exercises, like when you say rrrruuuuunnnnnn we would get up and run in slow motion, then run fast and say run run run.

I am not entirely sure she understands the concept of slow since I say "say it slow" and show her something like "fffffffeeeeeeeettttt" and then she says "ffeet" very abruptly and says she said it slow. Are there any exercises (besides the running like I mentioned above) to help her understand?

Some parts of it she needs to look at the book but she seems to look everywhere but. Are there any tricks to get her too look at the book?

Any other tricks to keep her more focused on the lesson?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:25 am

The first thoughts that popped into my head were... Maybe she's not ready OR maybe 100 lessons is not a good fit for her. You would know better, though.

I used 100 lessons with one of my sons. He did fairly well with it. He enjoyed the suspense that was created by hiding the picture while he read a short story. With your daughter, you mentioned she doesn't seem to want to look at the book.... have you tried covering everything EXCEPT what she's supposed to be looking at? I don't know that it would make a difference, but I have always been the type that was easily overstimulated by "the big picture." Does that make sense? I have learned over the years how to focus into details.

Ah well... I feel that I'm rambling incoherently. THere are a lot of wise people floating around here. Hopefully, one will pop in soon. All the best to you!

tash
User

Postby tash » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:54 am

well, I have add and it runs in families so there is a chance she has it too so if "being ready" is sitting still and focusing for more then 20 seconds she probably won't "be ready" until she is 10! :lol:

I can't really cover up everything. She isn't just looking around at different parts of the book. She is looking outside, at that speck on the carpet, her brother, is it snowing again? What's that red bird? my fingers are like an A.

I got the book because she soooo wants to read. She is constantly begging me to read to her. She is trying to write too and asks me how to write her name, her brothers name, my name, the dogs name. And she (all on her own) figured out the first half of her name just from that.

I have been doing a lot of unschooling and learning all the time stuff since she was born. When we take the elevator if there is no one else then I tell her what floor and she pushes the button. If there are other people then I say the floor and push it and show her that we help the other people with their floors too. She always asks me "what does this say" whenever she sees letters. And we have been getting Chinese food a lot recently so she keeps asking me what her cookie says. :)

we are only on lesson 6 right now. I have closed it before in the middle of a lesson when she won't do it but she gets so upset. She really really wants to learn to read. I have the laptop here to look at while I am waiting for her to come back to it but then I get involved in something here and she starts complaining that I am taking too long. :lol:

tash
User

Postby tash » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 am

well, I have add and it runs in families so there is a chance she has it too so if "being ready" is sitting still and focusing for more then 20 seconds she probably won't "be ready" until she is 10! :lol:

I can't really cover up everything. She isn't just looking around at different parts of the book. She is looking outside, at that speck on the carpet, her brother, is it snowing again? What's that red bird? my fingers are like an A.

I got the book because she soooo wants to read. She is constantly begging me to read to her. She is trying to write too and asks me how to write her name, her brothers name, my name, the dogs name. And she (all on her own) figured out the first half of her name just from that.

I have been doing a lot of unschooling and learning all the time stuff since she was born. When we take the elevator if there is no one else then I tell her what floor and she pushes the button. If there are other people then I say the floor and push it and show her that we help the other people with their floors too. She always asks me "what does this say" whenever she sees letters. And we have been getting Chinese food a lot recently so she keeps asking me what her cookie says. :)

we are only on lesson 6 right now. I have closed it before in the middle of a lesson when she won't do it but she gets so upset. She really really wants to learn to read. I have the laptop here to look at while I am waiting for her to come back to it but then I get involved in something here and she starts complaining that I am taking too long. :lol:

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 am

Tash... to me, it sounds like you are doing a fabulous job incorporating learning into your daughter's everyday activities. And, you are flowing with her curiosity. Perhaps she would enjoy having colorful flashcards hanging about your home... when she passes one, she could trace the outline and ask or say the sound (if she has mastered it).

The following site is very helpful. It has activities for each letter, as well as, print-outs to color or paste things on...

http://www.starfall.com

It is free and has different levels. Hope that helps. All the best to you!

roma
User

Postby roma » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I am a tutor for Home School and Public Schools. I have excellent results in helping the children others have given up on (The ones expected to be retained). Here is an article that explains the method:
Teaching Phonics and Reading is Fun and Oh So Easy! (It Is! Let Me Explain!)

Since you are teaching your child at home, you have the option of using "Delayed Academics". So, I recommend a book called "better Late Than Early" (something I would not use for a child in the Public School System.)
RC

Return to “Getting Started”