Pulling out of PS during school year

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

gottalovelattes
User

Pulling out of PS during school year

Postby gottalovelattes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 am

My 11 year old son has missed 18 days already this year...the majority of the absences are due to bipolar disorder and the rest due to traditional illness. My question is, if I remove him from school in the near future, does he get credit for his attendance at PS for the year or do I have to start over with the 190 day requirement? We are in NC.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm

If you decide to homeschool, you don't have to keep track of school days. You're required to have 9 months of "school," no requirement for how many days, and your school school year starts whenever you want it to.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:14 pm

We are in NC, and I pulled my kids out mid year. Ellie is right that NC only requires you to operate for a nine calendar month school term. That "first year" we homeschooled, I counted the months they spent in public school for that school year. Now, it doesn't make much difference because we are mostly a year round homeschol family.

Best wishes!
Jill

Roxanne2211
User

Postby Roxanne2211 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Today is my sons last day at school , so we are in the same situation . I also had the same question .... and wanted to know what "proof" had to be shown to the state re months or days in school ?? I got my packet for state approval a few days ago and even in the renewal docs required for NEXT year ..... there isnt anything required showing them how many days/months you were in school . They just want the curriculum, 1-2 pages of work from each subject and a couple of other very minor things .

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”