7yr old driving me insane

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lessons from home
User

Postby lessons from home » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 pm

This has been really really interesting and I mean that in a positive way. I've learned a lot. Not one person has noticed my second sentence of that upsetting post: "Forgive me, I'm be facetious here."
according to dictionary.com facetious means: –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
I'm not criticizing or being mean spirited in any way. It has been a reminder to me that human nature, being what it is, tends to assume the worst. It's easy to read the words of a stranger and take offense, after all there is so much on the internet that is offensive.
My comment was meant as a joke but that kind of humor doesn't translate well in writing. This has been a great lesson for me to keep in mind next time I post something.
I rather suspect that sheree isn't a long term homeschooler so maybe she doesn't realize that we, too live a lifestyle that is non-traditional and we are subject to a lot of questions about it by others. In consequence we have great respect and admiration for others who choose to buck the tide and live their lives the way they think is best instead of following the crowd.
I'm sorry my advice wasn't what she expected, but I guess that's the nature of forums. You get lots of input from lots of different perspectives. Take what fits and toss the rest.
Blessings,
Sue
"whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, virtuous, or worthy of praise, meditate on these things" Phil.4:8

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:31 pm

*group hug*

:D

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:42 pm

I have a 7 year old daughter who also is hard of hearing. She is still learnring to write and has found forming letters hard to do.

When it comes to her writing paragraphs or long statement that require more than a few words, I have her dictate to me while I write it down for her. Sometimes I will write a short statement from her and she will do some copywork.

We also limit the time spent in books. It has been written about in various homeschool information books that children under the age of 10 are still developing. Their eyes are not fully formed till age 10. Eye Doctors have tried to share for the past 50 years that children under 10 should not be reading for long periods of time. This included lots of seat work involving workbooks, worksheets and textbooks and etc.

My dd's time reading or doing close seat work is limited to 15 to 20 minutes at a times. We spread out her work so that she has "rest" periods to use her long distance vision.

I have near sightness that resulted from learning to read at age 4, I started nursery school at age 3. I was one of the Michigan Preschool students back in the 60's. Most states didn't have nursery school or pre-k until in later dates. Michigan and Calf. were one who started the early enrollments for schools.

I believe that most 7 year olds need lots of hands on, and allow their developmentt to continue before they begin formal studies in reading, writing, and math.

My dd loves doing things on the computer, me reading books to her, going on "field trips," and using hands-on resources to reinforce learning.
We have lots of educational resources such as: counters, play money, shapes of all sorts, building legos, blocks, educational games of all sorts, flash cards, letter tiles, word tiles, magnetic words strips, and etc.

It can be hard to have all this while traveling. Use the local library if you haven't yet. Most likely the best tool you have is the computer, there are tons of resources to download and copy and you can make you own games and word tiles using the computer and printer.

Make learning a delight for you 7 year old. If she is struggling with sitting still for more than 20 minutes, then just let her do bits of work and take breaks, if she does 20 minutes then reward her with a treat, then do another 20 minutes and another treat (not a food treat but perhaps a read aloud story that she just wants you to keep reading.)

I hope you have lots of enjoyable and make many wonderful memories that your dd will record for future enjoyment! :D
Sharon

Return to “Getting Started”