7yr old driving me insane

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sheree99
User

7yr old driving me insane

Postby sheree99 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24 am

We are travelling in Europe at the monment spending several months in each place. While we are travelling I'm trying to provide my very bright 7yr old daughter with some education however she basically doesn't want to do it and doesn't even want to try some days and doesn't want to concentrate . She did very well at her previous school according to her reports and the teacher . I've tired having set times, doing subjects in set order, using activites on the computer etc . I've about given up and we have at least 6mths more of travelling to do. Any suggestions appreciated.

lessons from home
User

Postby lessons from home » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm

my goodness, have you tried going out your door? Forgive me, I'm be facetious here. Most of us are drooling over the opportunity you have. Can you go to local historical spots? Museums? Hang out with the locals and have her pick up some of the language?
You have an amazing opportunity to immerse your child in foreign cultures, one that most Americans never have. Take full advantage of it while it lasts. You didn't mention why you are in Europe. Are you free to visit the major historical sites? Give your daughter an inexpensive camera, let her photograph what you visit. Later she can write up what she remembers about each place. Better yet, have her record her memories onto a digital recorder, import it into your computer and synchronize her recording to a slide show of the pictures (Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Elements can do this simply and quickly). What an amazing school project that would be.
At only 7 years old, you have plenty of time later for your daughter to catch up on any of the phonics/spelling/math type learning she might miss. We didn't start formal math, for instance, until my son was 10. He started right out in a 5th grade book and picked it up quickly. All math books start the year with a refresher on the basics. You said she's very bright; in six months when you stop traveling, your daughter can settle back in to school and easily catch up.
If you feel like you have to keep up some sort of "school", you can always do real life learning. Have her read street signs, assuming you know the local language and can help her :wink: Find historical novels set in the area you are living in. Read those aloud and go out and find the places mentioned in the book. Reenact the events from the book. Have her draw pictures of famous places if she likes to draw.
Play cards or dice games for math practice, teach her to tell time or measure ingredients.
By following those suggestions, you will cover social studies, reading, art, math and foreign language class.
Hope this helps.
Jealous in New England
Sue
"whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, virtuous, or worthy of praise, meditate on these things" Phil.4:8

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:02 pm

ITA with Lessons From Home. I'm thinking your dd would get so much more "education" if you spent time exploring your surroundings instead of trying to do school.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

sheree99
User

Postby sheree99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:49 am

As I said we are in Europe so Castles, Roman and Moorish ruins, 1000 yrs old Churches, archaeological sites , cave houses, world heritage sites etc are all around us as yes we visit them. Yes she has a camera, yes she can read a map and a tomtom . And as we will be settling in England and continuing to visit Europe the exposure she has to the history will not be short term. Yes she is all around the Spanish people and plays with Spanish children so learning about culture is not the issue. I was asking about how to get a child to concentrate for 1-2 hrs a day 3-5 days on school work.. the basics, reading, spelling, maths. As she is dyslexic it does take a lot of effort from everyone to get her to learn but in saying that after all the efforts from me and her school she was above her age range (7) all subjects when she left her last school and she needs to keep at it in order to be able to write stories about what she sees , read the plaques etc

I was hoping to get constructive comments from people who school their children at home and may have similiar problems not comments from people who are jelouse of us because we got off our butts, quit our jobs, set up our own net biz and decided to see the world in our middle age.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 am

Some of the comments have been a bit snippy, I agree. Hopefully, that was not the intent. :(

If I were in your shoes, I think I would keep Math lessons going, for sure. Language Arts, History, Geography, etc... could revolve around your surroundings. It sounds as if you are already taking hold of some wonderful opportunities.

Did you have to take your daughter out of school to take this trip? If so, perhaps some of her unwillingness stems from that. As a child I was very sensitive to schedule changes. Maybe some extra comfort and reassurance would help. I could be way off, though.

Other than that, I'd say... relax and enjoy each other and your surroundings. :D

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 am

It sounds like you are doing a great job of providing her with rich experiences - she is learning about history, culture, art, etc. in an amazing way. I hope we have the same opportunity with our children one day!

I would suggest paring down your lessons to just math, reading and writing for right now. She is learning everything else through your experiences.

Do a single math lesson, read to her and let her practice reading aloud, and have her keep a travel journal where she writes one or two sentences about what you did that day. That is enough for a 1st/2nd grader as the things they learn at this age are very simple and basic.

Something like that should take no more than 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe if she knows you're only spending a very brief amount of time on school, she will be less resistant.

You could also break it up - a math lesson every morning, travel journal in the afternoon, and reading before bed. 15-20 minutes as a time is a lot less daunting than a full hour of work.

Anyway, that's all I can think of. I hope this helps!

Carletta

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 pm

I would only like to add that many of us come to this site because it is one of very few where we don't have to put up with bad attitudes.

Finger pointing , name calling or an I'm better than you attitude, I can find anywhere.

Please leave that junk at the door.

Thanks.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:22 pm

And just so I'm being clear...

I don't feel that Lessons from home or elliemaejune's comments were out of line or snippy.

The first post sounded like sherree99 and her family were on some sort of vacation or business trip. I would have given the same advice that was given by lessons from home and not thought twice about it. I thought it was great advice from someone who was just trying to help.

sheree99
User

Hi Jazzy

Postby sheree99 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for your input as it was very constructive especially the bit about her keeping a journal about what she sees. I think I'll try that Unfortunatly the rest is about what I'm doing. Spelling, reading.. both being read to and reading aloud and math but she keeps getting distracted esp when it comes to spelling , which is always a hard road with her anyway and Maths which she has a talent for. Oh well maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and maybe just let her do more math/spelling games on the compyter which she loves doing. Luckily we have net connections and laptops :)

Thanks Sheree

oh and Miss Kristy we are on a vacation /business trip.. that is often what travelling involves.. we just happend to be doing it for an extended period of at least 6mths before we settle in England which again is half a world away from where we came from.

4 given
Yes we did take her out of school but it's not just a trip we are permanently moving from one side of the worls to another and taking 6 months in Europe before we settle in England. Yes she does occassionally miss her friends but she is overall a very secure , competent, strong willed child who is older than her yrs in many ways. But your still made some good points and thanks for the support.
Maybe I do need to relax..its just that I know all the work that has gone into getting her this far, with her dyslexia, that I don't want her to slip back.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Miss_Kristy wrote:I would only like to add that many of us come to this site because it is one of very few where we don't have to put up with bad attitudes.

Finger pointing , name calling or an I'm better than you attitude, I can find anywhere.

Please leave that junk at the door.

Thanks.

Is this directed toward me?

I was merely trying to offer support and say that I understood her frustrations. I won't point out the wording of sentences and usage of words that I found snippy. That WOULD be finger-pointing.

Not sure where the name-calling or better-than-thou attitude could be read. I guess it's just the same really... I read some particular comments that seemed less than supportive. You read some others and ascertained something else. I don't know. :?

vmsgirl71
User

Postby vmsgirl71 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Back to the topic at hand..have you used some of the Orton Gillingham resources for dyslexia? When Brandon was that age I let him play with sand and paint to write his words in. He also responded very well with green gels covering words. He liked getting the materials out when we would sit to do homework. I'm thinking that giving her a different media to utilize might make it go better. Just a thought.
and wow..enjoy your travels!!!!
I thought taking Brandon this summer up to Mackinac City/ St. Ignace, MI to see the Objiwan Indian Pow Wow was something...well it is, but.....what an awesome experience your providing for your daughter. **applause**
Barbie
"momma" to Brandon; 14 and two pups, Bugsy 6 and Milo 4 mos!

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 pm

No, 4given it wasn't directed at you.

I felt that sheree99 saying how people were jealous of her was a little snippy and not really called for. She also insinuated that the comments given to her by the other person "lessons from home" weren't constructive. When clearly that person was only trying to help.

I felt the advice that was given to sheree99 was fine. Not out of line at all.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 pm

"oh and Miss Kristy we are on a vacation /business trip.. that is often what travelling involves.. we just happend to be doing it for an extended period of at least 6mths before we settle in England which again is half a world away from where we came from."

Okay, first of all, it would help everyone give you advice if you would clearly state the situation. No one knew that you would be settling in England until your second post. Which means we just assumed you would be returning to the US after your trip.

Second. You don't have to tell me what travelling involves. This is the exact attitude I was talking about before. There was absolutely no need for you to say that to me.

I have been visiting this site for over a year and I don't plan on leaving. So, I'd like it to remain a civil place where people come for inspiration and advice.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Miss_Kristy wrote:No, 4given it wasn't directed at you.

I felt that sheree99 saying how people were jealous of her was a little snippy and not really called for. She also insinuated that the comments given to her by the other person "lessons from home" weren't constructive. When clearly that person was only trying to help.

I felt the advice that was given to sheree99 was fine. Not out of line at all.

Gotcha!

However, when one begins their advice with... my goodness, have you tried going out your door?... I can understand a person taking this as condescension.

And when someone concludes with.... Jealous in New England ... it is reasonable to believe that someone is jealous.

The body of writing was, indeed, very good advice. But, that can be difficult to focus on when you feel you're being attacked, talked down to, patronized.

Having said that, I doubt that lessons from home intended any of her suggestions to be insulting.

Jazzy
User

Re: Hi Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49 am

sheree99 wrote:Thanks for your input as it was very constructive especially the bit about her keeping a journal about what she sees. I think I'll try that Unfortunatly the rest is about what I'm doing. Spelling, reading.. both being read to and reading aloud and math but she keeps getting distracted esp when it comes to spelling , which is always a hard road with her anyway and Maths which she has a talent for. Oh well maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and maybe just let her do more math/spelling games on the compyter which she loves doing. Luckily we have net connections and laptops :)

Definitely do more on the computer if that's what she loves doing.

I have heard that it's okay to wait until around 3rd grade to do spelling, especially if the child isn't yet reading well. But I don't know how that applies to dyslexia.

There's a company that I've heard a lot of great things about called Little Giant Steps. Here's the website:

http://www.littlegiantsteps.com/index.php

They have articles and materials for children with learning challenges. You may want to take a look at what they have.

Return to “Getting Started”