Getting Started Again

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

amazeandgrace
User

Getting Started Again

Postby amazeandgrace » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi all
Well about a year ago, I had posted here and had one daughter I had pulled out of PS and one that I was considering pulling out of PS. I wanted to homeschool them with my husband's support. I was concerned about former depression standing in my way but I have been great, give or take a few days. I went ahead and pulled the youngest out and began homeschooling both of them over the summer and into this school year.
Now we have another huge obstacle. My mother, who lives with us, is very ill and is in our home on hospice care. She's been hospitalized or ill for many many months. It has been so hard on our family. I was just getting into the swing of things with the girls for the school year, getting stuff figured out and this happens. We had been taking it slow, not joing a support group, etc.
Now the girls are sad because they don't have the friends or group activites. I'm stressed because of the time and my mom...and my hubby is stressed because of the whole thing.
Because of a medical issue he is struggling with badly currently (PTSD from the Iraq war and insomnia)...he is not much help. He is starting treatment next week, but I know those things take time. He's a great man, just having a hard time right now.
Good news is that my mom is doing incredibly well currently. I can leave her home alone (with a cell phone) for a few hours at a time if needed. She does not feel up to going anywhere with us, but that's fine.
I feel so stuck and overwhelmed. I feel like my girls are upset. My hubby is worried and sick. My mom is homebound essentially. I am OK for now, although the stress is starting to get to me. I don't want to throw them back in public school...I need some support and ideas...
I had left my former church home and am going to start again this week at another place...which is stressful but will be great for us! So I know that's something....anyway...
Thank you!
Elyssa
PS Don't be alarmed....I know my grammar and punctuation stinks in this...LOL, but i think my spelling is correct!

amazeandgrace
User

My Old Post

Postby amazeandgrace » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Here's my old post from this board (hopefully I can do this) if you need a refresher
http://www.home-school.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4000

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:07 am

Poor grammar and spelling don't count when you're online! That's what I tell myself, at least. :wink:

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. We went through a similar spell last fall. My husband's father died. Then his grandfather died. Then I had surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed and had complications with that, and so on and so on...

We really got behind on the lessons I had planned for the year, and, like you, I had to drop some of my kid's activities. I really made sure I spoke with them and let them know that we needed to pull together as a family to get through a difficult time and that things would soon get back to normal. They seemed to understand and didn't complain.

This spring we were able to catch up on all of our schoolwork and start getting out again. I'm glad we kept homeschooling when times were tough because it gave us the flexibility we needed at the time, and because (obviously) I think homeschooling is the best education option for our family.

Anyway, I just want to encourage you to stick with it through the ups and downs. It is important for your family to stick together right now. You can always catch up on schoolwork and activities later.

Lorelei Sieja
User

homeschooling through the tough times

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:34 pm

It was hard for us, but I homeschooled the year my infant son Adam died at birth. I had health issues, depression, and we had just moved so I had no support group or close friends. But I knew public school wasn't going to fix anything.

We lightened up on school work. Your child needs to learn some basic skills sometime before he/ she graduates from high school, but it doesn't really matter if he or she learns so much THIS YEAR. So cut back on your expectations, and know that you'll catch up eventually.

Plan special "ME" time, so you don't get overwhelmed. What do you need to do to keep your batteries running? Prayer time, of course if this is part of your experience, and a hot bubble bath at the end of the day can sooth a lot of problems, but more than that, you might need a day "out" on your own. Away from kids, mother, and spouse. Discover what would work for you, and take steps to make it happen.

What about the emotional burden of a sick parent? Are you starting to grieve for the time when they are no longer with you? How can you prepare yourself and your children for this event? What special activities would make this easier for you, or help you find closure? I knew my unborn child was not likely to survive. He'd been diagnoses with Trisomy 18 - a debilitating birth defect. So after the doctors laid his small, cold body in the glass baby bed, my husband went home to get our children. I bathed my son, and wrapped him in a blanket, and each of us had the opportunity to hold him or kiss him good-bye. Not everyone wanted to hold him. My kids were between 7 and 14 years old. But this small ritual helped them to get through the funeral and grieving process.

I'm sorry about your spouse, and that he too has problems. There must be some military support group for you? Or for him? It's good that he is getting help. We are so honored by our young men and women who have supported our country in this conflict, and pray that our country will continue to give them whatever support and help they may need. (My son was in Kuwait, and Korea, but never in danger, or so he told me. He did damage his ankle pretty severely playing soccer with the other soldiers on a day off, and came home on crutches).

I hope that you find something in these posts helpful.

GOod luck and best wishes!
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Return to “Getting Started”