Interested in homeschooling and have a few questions. (Long)

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mommy_2_mekhi
User

Interested in homeschooling and have a few questions. (Long)

Postby mommy_2_mekhi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to the board and to being a homeschooling mom. I, myself, was homeschooled until my 10th grade year when I started into public high school.

I have a DS who is almost 6 and is in public Kindergarten currently. He is a very bright student and is learning rapidly. The thing is, I believe he is being held back by other students who aren't learning the material as quickly. At home, he breezes through homework and the workbooks that I have here for him to do. I feel that he isn't being challenged enough in school currently.

In the state of VA, one of the requirements is that the "teaching" parent hold a high school diploma. I have a GED. Is that still considered an acceptable diploma substitution? I have tried looking it up everywhere, and am unable to come up with an answer! It's nerve racking! :x

Also, the state requires that I give them a notice of what curriculum I will be using. I have looked into the DVD programs, but would really like to borrow ideas that I think would work best for my son from several different programs. Is this going to be accepted by the school board? Will I have to purchase a full grade program from one source, or will my idea to borrow from others be acceptable?

Thank you so much! I am sorry that I seem so naiive about the whole thing, but I just began thinking about this as a solution to his boredom in school. I enjoyed being homeschooled and found public school to be a bore and a poor substitute for what I could learn at home. Hence, the GED. I look forward to reading your opinions and advice!!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Interested in homeschooling and have a few questions. (L

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:06 pm

mommy_2_mekhi wrote:In the state of VA, one of the requirements is that the "teaching" parent hold a high school diploma. I have a GED. Is that still considered an acceptable diploma substitution? I have tried looking it up everywhere, and am unable to come up with an answer! It's nerve racking! :x

Yes, I think that should be fine, but you'll want to check with your state hs association or HSLDA.

Also, the state requires that I give them a notice of what curriculum I will be using. I have looked into the DVD programs, but would really like to borrow ideas that I think would work best for my son from several different programs. Is this going to be accepted by the school board? Will I have to purchase a full grade program from one source, or will my idea to borrow from others be acceptable?

Actually, no, you are not required to include the materials or methods you will be using. You are supposed to provide a list of the subjects you will be teaching. That's what "curriculum" really means. Your "curriculum" will be something like this: reading, spelling, penmanship, history, arithmetic, and science, appropriate to your child's age and abilities.

Check out HSLDA's analysis of VA law: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Virginia.pdf
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”