Daughter held back 1st grade,regretting decision,help please

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Delaneysmom2001
User

Daughter held back 1st grade,regretting decision,help please

Postby Delaneysmom2001 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi, I am new to this sight and I am researching the best options for my daughter. She is now 14 in the 7th grade due to being held back in the 1st grade, which I now regret doing, her teacher at the time said it was mandatory after her being in 1st grade for one week. She was a late September baby, which she was already almost a year ahead of the other students in her class. She is a good student, and my concern for her is that she will be almost 20 years of age graduating high school. I want to advance her to her original grade, which would be 8th grade, but do not know all I have to do to make this happen. She goes to a private school, but want to know if homeschooling would be the best option for her...anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated! We reside in Florida. Thank you in advance!!!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Daughter held back 1st grade,regretting decision,help pl

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

katiesmom323
User

Re: Daughter held back 1st grade,regretting decision,help please

Postby katiesmom323 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 am

you need to do more than just call her an 8th grader, first look into your state laws, she may require testing specific to that grade, if not you would want to go about teaching her what she would need to know to enter 8th grade, your state probably list all requirements for their schools online. you could also speak with a local 8th grade teacher (through calling a school) and see what she may need to know to start. Certain lessons cant be skipped, where as science and history can be in any order (also depending on state) math and English need to be taught a certain way as to not confuse a child. An simple example is teaching multiplication before how to multiply fractions . I'm more than positive you can do it.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Daughter held back 1st grade,regretting decision,help please

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”