6 y/o doesn't pay attention

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

300sms
User

6 y/o doesn't pay attention

Postby 300sms » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:50 pm

I am contemplating homeschooling my son and we are just loosely doing some extra stuff around school, nothing organized yet. I was trying to read the David & Goliath story from a NIrV bible to him and not even 20 verses in my husband (who is on board with H/S) walks by and noticing my son playing with his jacket, chair, fingers etc. says, "I think you lost him, maybe he is a visual, tactical learner." I know he loves to read but it seems like the bible just doesn't stick with him. Any suggestions? We will read a story and he will "wander" and later not be able to recall the stories. We have used a children's devotional which he did well with and he goes to Sunday school but in trying to read a more advanced version I feel like he can't do it or doesn't want to. I learn towards the later since he is a very avid reader and very intelligent. I would say he is not behind in anything at school (at this time we have not pulled the boys out fully yet). I just do not know how to proceed.

HELP Please!!!!
Amanda

SAHM to Brad- 13 & Connor- 6 awaiting #3
Married to the AF & my sweet hubby of 8 years.

Sasha
User

Postby Sasha » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:05 pm

My 8 year old daughter has/had the same sort of problem. She learned to read while bouncing on a ball chair. :lol:
That being said, why not try something with a little more interaction? Even if you dont feel up to craft projects or anything like that just something that asks for responses every so often would probably be easier for your little guy to handle than just sitting there. I used Leading Little Ones To God with my 8 year old over the past year and I think a 6 year old would do well with it as well. Just be sure to give him things to do, let him look up the passage in the bible, sing the songs, so on and so forth. Also Gotta Have God is a GREAT little boys bible devotion. They come in several grade/age levels I am using the one for the youngest age with my 4 year old son and he really enjoys it.
Was it just devotions that you were looking for ideas for or are you looking for interactive things for other subjects as well?
Hope I helped,
Sasha
Loved wife, Joyous mother of 5, and a notoriously poor speller.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 pm

My 10 yr old daughter still wanders off while doing her lessons. She is always daydreaming about something. Usually she is designing a new outfit that she wants to sew for her dolls or a new drawing she wants to make. She doesn't like to just read, she likes to touch and do too. All I can recommend is to take lots of breaks and make it as interesting and fun as possible. Also, remember he is only 6 and little kids have short attention spans anyway.

conbre
User

Postby conbre » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 am

My daughter who has just turned 7 is reading at a 3rd grade level and still isn't able to sit still for more than 5 minutes. When she was able to read a children's Bible story book for herself this helped because she was so impressed with herself. She also was able to see the pictures and mentally understand the reading herself. She now reads a children's condensed version of the Bible everyday. Also remember every child is different. My son who is eight still struggles with reading and I wouldn't even ask him to sit still without something in his hands to keep him occupied. Your son will be fine.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Some children are able to listen better if they are actively doing something. Have you tried letting your son draw, build with blocks or legos, play with playdoh, or piece together a puzzle while you read? Giving him something to do with his hands may help.

Carletta

ecogirl13
User

hmm

Postby ecogirl13 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:43 pm

hmm yeah
Want To Earn Some Extra Cash? Without getting spammed? Sign up with Cashcrate today!!!!

Embassy
User

Postby Embassy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:58 pm

Giving my wiggly guy some playdoh or a puzzle while I read to him really helps! I also give him cues like "I know you are listening when you are looking at me."
Homeschooling ds aged 7 and ds aged 5
Our Homeschool Adventure
Review Homeschool Curriculum

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Return to “Getting Started”