Very new to this!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Whimsicaldork
User

Very new to this!

Postby Whimsicaldork » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:11 am

I am fresh and new to this. After making a huge decision to home school I now am trying to figure out where to start. I feel like I need a mentor or something to guide me in the right direction. I want my daughter to have the best and I can offer her the best. She will be in 1st grade and kindergarten was a nightmare with public schools. Any help as to where to begin, especially if you are in North Carolina, would be greatly appreciated.

RPascal206
User

RE: Very new to this!

Postby RPascal206 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:15 am

The Lord has greatly blessed me: I am the oldest daughter of ten children, and I LOVE it!
My family's blog is: http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/

BrianEvans
User

Very new to this!

Postby BrianEvans » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:44 pm

stephenhawking
User

Re: Very new to this!

Postby stephenhawking » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:36 pm

Research Homeschooling Laws: Familiarize yourself with the homeschooling laws and regulations in North Carolina. Understanding the legal requirements will help you ensure that you are in compliance with state regulations.

Curriculum Selection: Explore different homeschooling curricula and teaching methods to find the best fit for your daughter. Consider her learning style, interests, and your own teaching preferences when selecting a curriculum.

Create a Schedule: Establish a daily or weekly schedule for homeschooling activities, lessons, and learning experiences. Having a structured routine can help create a sense of normalcy and consistency for your daughter.

Seek Mentorship: Consider reaching out to experienced homeschooling parents in your community for mentorship and guidance. They can offer valuable insights and advice based on their own experiences.

Jay Miller
User

Postby Jay Miller » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:51 am

Embarking on the journey of homeschooling can be both rewarding and challenging, but with dedication and the right resources, you can provide your daughter with a personalized and enriching education experience.
1. Know the Homeschooling Laws:
- Familiarize yourself with the homeschooling laws and regulations in North Carolina. Each state has its own requirements, so it's important to understand what is expected of you as a homeschooling parent.

2. Choose a Homeschooling Method:
- Explore different homeschooling methods and philosophies to find one that aligns with your values and your daughter's learning style. Common methods include traditional, classical, Charlotte Mason, and unschooling.

3. Curriculum Planning:
- Research and choose a curriculum that suits your daughter's grade level and your preferred teaching style. There are various pre-packaged curricula available, or you can opt for a more eclectic approach by combining resources from different publishers.

4. Connect with Local Homeschooling Communities:
- Seek out local homeschooling groups or communities in North Carolina. Connecting with experienced homeschoolers can provide valuable insights, support, and resources. Online platforms and social media can be helpful in finding local groups.

5. Utilize Online Resources:
- Take advantage of online resources. There are many educational websites, videos, and interactive platforms that can supplement your curriculum and make learning engaging.

6. Visit Libraries and Museums:
- Plan regular visits to local libraries and museums. Many libraries offer educational programs, and hands-on experiences in museums can enhance your daughter's understanding of various subjects.

7. Set Realistic Goals:
- Establish realistic goals and a flexible schedule. One of the benefits of homeschooling is the ability to tailor the learning experience to your child's pace and interests.

8. Document Progress:
- Keep records of your daughter's progress and achievements. This documentation can be useful in meeting state requirements and tracking her educational journey.

9. Attend Homeschooling Conferences:
- Attend homeschooling conferences or workshops to gain insights, discover new resources, and connect with other homeschooling families.

10. Stay Flexible and Enjoy the Journey:
- Homeschooling is a journey, and it's okay to adjust your approach as needed. Stay flexible, enjoy the learning process with your daughter, and celebrate her successes along the way.

Remember that each child is unique, and homeschooling allows you the freedom to tailor education to your daughter's individual needs. Seeking support from local homeschooling communities can be particularly beneficial, as experienced homeschoolers can share their insights and help guide you through the process.

benben77
User

Postby benben77 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:32 am

Check the homeschooling laws in North Carolina. Join local homeschooling groups for advice. Choose a 1st-grade curriculum that suits your goals. Keep it simple with a daily schedule, use online tools, visit interesting places, and make learning fun!

Return to “Getting Started”