Am I a good candidate?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

hotwired
User

Am I a good candidate?

Postby hotwired » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:31 pm

My family has been considering homeschooling but there are, in our minds, at least as many cons as pros and I wanted to ask for some feedback. I'm the dad by the way. 49 years old, 13 year old daughter, my wife and I have been married 13 years. We are self employed, very flexible schedules and love to travel. Our daughter is obsessed with horses .. very accomplished competitive show rider. Here are some "factoids"

I have ADHD. I went to college but flunked out. Failed algebra in high school but have re learned my way around algebra pretty well. Age has something to do with that I think.

I am impatient and have an explosive temper. Not violent or anything but can really "lose it" over little things.

My daughter is ADHD. Very bright..taking Algebra 1 in 8th grade at private Christian school. But not a "self starter" yet. Her "A's" come from her brains but our "boot up her butt" and organizational help. She has typical pre teen lazy streak but is beginning to see the light. Because of her ADHD, she is emotionaly / socially a 11 year old so that creates a bit of a challenge. We do love the dickens out of her though so that lessens the challenge.

JUST getting ready to go into high school...is this really the best time to try homeschooling?? Isn't the curriculum going to be a challenge for us parents who were C- students at best?

...On the other hand...I've heard alot of course are self directed online, etc. Also, I am capable. I actually read her science and history books ahead of her, do all the section quizzes and chapter reviews so I have an handle on
things then double check her work and push her if her answers need work.

Reading this, what comes up for you? Do I / we sound at first glance (mixing senses here!) like we should just stick out the last 4 years or might high school be the best time to start home schooling? (At least we won't have to do any science fairs of papier blankety blank mache!!

Thanks so much!!!!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Am I a good candidate?

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

alexbrown
User

Postby alexbrown » Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm