Homeschooling in TX

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JamSea
User

Homeschooling in TX

Postby JamSea » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:18 pm

If anyone is in TX that has experience with homeschooling, can you direct me to some great links so I can start my research?

My son is 8 and in the 3rd grade. He scores highest on all of the school tests and is in gifted. He can do 5th grade math and reads at a 6th grade level but can not sit down and form a paragraph (writing) to save his life. His teacher, his gifted teacher and the counselor believe he is ADD but I refuse to put him on medication. He "drifts off" several times a day and can not put together 5 sentences when the kids have writing time. All other areas, he excels.

So having struggled with this for 2 years, I am not very ready to home school him. I was very close to becoming a teacher myself, so I'm more than happy to do this.

If anyone has info out there, I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:51 pm

Texas is a great state for homeschooling. A 1994 court case decided that homeschools are the equivalent of private schools, which are unregulated by the state. You don't have to notify anyone, do testing, report anything, ever.

So, really, your best bet is just to read good books on homeschooling in general. When you're ready, you should notify the school that you're withdrawing your dc (not that you are required to by law, but if your dc just quits showing up, the school will assume that he is traunt) and start homeschooling.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 am

JamSea,
I agree. Read all you can, then make a decision.
Can he compose a paragraph or coherent story orally? If so, it may just be the physical act of writing that he has a problem with. If he is gifted, his mind may just work faster than his hand can, and that's frustrating.
Best wishes.
Jill

amazeandgrace
User

Postby amazeandgrace » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Return to “Getting Started”