Average Cost per student to home school per year

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Marlin Ebersole
User

Average Cost per student to home school per year

Postby Marlin Ebersole » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Good afternoon!
As a pastor of a small community church, I am interested in knowing the average cost of hoem schooling a student per year. Our congregation wishes to establish a fund for christian education and if I can get a handle on how much it cost per student we can make a fair distribution of the funds.
Thank you,
Marlin

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:05 pm

You are going to hear this answer a dozen times and it's true. ---- Homeschooling costs as much or as little as you MAKE it cost.

You can go all out and buy expensive curriculum, fancy dodads that you really don't NEED, tee shirts with your logo on it, ect. ect.

Or you could plan your own curriculum, which is far less expensive, but much more time consuming. Use the public library ALOT. And take advantage of all the free downloads on the internet.

You could also, use a combo. of those two options. Which is what I think alot of people end up doing.

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers.

good luck

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm

It really does vary with age and what you are teaching too. It cost us about $500 to homeschool sd (10th grade). Now I have borrowed some curriculum and gotten other bits of it used to help save money. I know some brand new sets I have looked at can cost up towards $1000 for the year, it really depends on what you are doing.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say that I've spent less than $200.00 for my 2 school aged kids this year. They're in 2nd and 3rd grades. This does not include internet fees ( which I had anyway ) and a printer for our computer. 90% of our books I got from the Salvation Army, Goodwill, yard sales, and discount book stores. The rest I got from Barnes and Noble.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:11 pm

If you want a packaged curriculum, it's going to cost at least a few hundred dollars per grade. However, much of that can be reused, and you could theoretically run this from the basis of a lending library rather than just donating money. When one homeschooler finishes with a set of materials, it gets passed on to the next, and so on. Eventually you'll have sufficient materials bought so the only things you'll have to supply money for are perishables (paper, pencils, etc.) and replacing damaged books. You can also buy used from Ebay, book sales, your local public school's discard pile, etc. to save money, and even when you do need to buy new, you can buy more than one copy and save money that way.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:50 am

Included in my figure was cost of extras like co-op, lab supplies and things of that nature. Those alone cost us about $150 or so this past year. Next year will be about the same or a little more since she is doing chemistry.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 am

Does that figure include reusable equipment or just chemicals?

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:11 am

That cost for us was including some reusables. She is doing biology now and we needed the slides and the disection kit. I did get the slides and the disection kit together for about $35 and then I needed to buy the actual things to disect (yuck I am not a science person) which was around $20 after shipping. We already had a microscope so that cut down on the cost. We also spent about $60 for her co-op classes since she took some that needed extra supplies, especially the cooking class. The other money mainly went to extra programs to supplement gym which we would not have spent if she was in the public school.

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:09 pm

Just from looking around on this site and others like it is seems as though you can pick up a LOT of used material that people are finished w/ and willing to sell.

I like Theodore's idea - build sort of a library of resources instead of giving out money for everyone to buy their own new stuff. Obviously some things will need to be purchased new so the $ will help, but I think having a bank of resources there will be a great help.
Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:42 pm

I agree with Theodore. Books are vitally important and some are reusable. So, for instance, my first child our curriculum costs more than with my second and third because I do not need to buy another history book or another math book (though, I do buy another workbook to write in).

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 pm

You could also have a supply closet for specialty supplies like manipulative like cuisinaire rods, and measuring tools like scales. Maybe a science box with magnifying glasses or microscopes for families with older children. Ask around what people need. There are a lot of things that can be shared and I am sure you can get the congregation to contribute greatly.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:44 am

For science stuff...You may want to look around for any local businesses who may have extra/old stuff lying around that they would be willing to donate. As a science teacher myself, I have been successful getting equipment from the research divisions of some larger companies, especially pharmaceutical companies. I was amazed to hear that a lot of companies simply get rid of old equipment and buy all new stuff when they start working on a new product! They were more than willing to donate the stuff!
Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

sijiafin
User

Postby sijiafin » Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Home school is way more expensive than public school of course, I would say it's not as expensive as private school. Of course school supplies are going to cost a lot because you have to buy all of the books first hand but you can always find great lab supplies around. All depending on the student, I think.

WendyinUP
User

Postby WendyinUP » Fri May 22, 2009 7:12 pm

I have four kids ages 12, 10, 7, and 5. I think we're spending around $800 total for the upcoming school year. We use primarily prepackaged, traditional curriculum. I hope this helps.

Mkat
User

Postby Mkat » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:37 pm

I don't know what the average is, but for my son's upcoming 9th grade year I found every single book I needed used. In perfect condition, no writing inside, etc. but just not in the plastic anymore.

For his first semester, I bought 5 books at http://www.alibris.com/ with shipping, for $45. You can definitely find what you need.

Return to “Getting Started”