Page 1 of 1

Help Please.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:28 am
by ciniv
Hey my name is John, I'm 16 years old and attend Milford High School in Massachusetts. I have been thinking about homeschooling alot since well my grades are kind of low since I have diagnosed ADHD and I know your all saying oh who cares because theres alot of kids who get claim to have it and abuse the medications, but I also have a minor visual condition where my eyes move involuntarily. It makes it kind of hard to go between for instance taking notes and then looking at the board since I need to stop and focus harder to get my place back. I have one of those IEP educational plans that kind of goes along the lines of I should sit up front in class like that does alot. I'm failing the 10th grade and am going to have to stay back. I know another student in my school who has alot of trouble in school now only has to go to tutoring for 2 hours a day every other day and it is paid for by the school system. Also my cousin Kevin got in a bit of trouble and isn't aloud back at school has a tutor come 2 hours a day every other day to his house instead of having to go to school and the school pays for it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. I live with my gramma because both my parents suffer from major mental illnesses and shes of course old and works just enough to keep us living middle class. So we dont have alot of money to spend on this and I think it would be alot easier to escape social pressures and all to just be tutored, and make it to a diploma. Does anyone know what kind of circumstanes call for the school to pay for this or is it something alot of schools offer? Does this certain style have a name or something I could use to lookup the topic? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Anything..?

Thank you very much for the help, John.

According to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:06 pm
by Theodore
According to the federal special education law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (20 U.S.C.1400 et seq.), the board of education must ensure that "all children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of the disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located and evaluated..." This is probably what you're looking for. If you have a disability that requires a tutor, the state will provide one. Of course, the state could theoretically decide that you'll have just as much trouble with ADHD and visual problems at home as you will at school, and refuse to give you a tutor, but it won't hurt anything to ask for one.

The other option is to homeschool yourself, which basically means you'll be working year-round and spacing the material out more so you don't have to do as much per day. You can also choose your own courses and schedule, as long as they eventually fulfill the high school graduation requirements for your state (you can look these up online, or ask your school counselor) and the entrance requirements for your college of choice, assuming you will be doing college next instead of some sort of vocational training.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:02 pm
by ciniv
Now by homeschool myself that would be me just learning on my own because that would work I have a fairly decent IQ and my capacity to learn is pretty good. I just wasn't sure if you could homeschool without a parent.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:30 pm
by Princess_Fyara
Actually, a lot of Homeschooling, (especially when you get into High school,) is self teaching. Being able to use the Internet is a big plus, as there are a lot of good resources, tests, etc. online. If you are confident, 'go for it!'. :)

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:45 pm
by ciniv
Hmm so I could actually complete high school online because I could find the money myself since I would use the extra time to work on several major companys I'm supposed to launch. I'm a web designer and pretty much know just about there is to know, but with school I dont have alot of time to put it all together and its taking longer then expected but the main problem is passing school. I live in Mass just for the record incase anyone forgot, but does that kind of thing pass with the school system taking school online cause I've seen some places I mean of course I'm going to try to get the tutoring first since I have the medical condition with my eyes but if not I would without a doubt go for the net education, but could someone explain or link me to someplace giving more indepth explainations like once I learn the material how do I prove to the school that I learnt it all and what kind of process is it? Like for example would I just go inform the school I was going to be home schooled then pay for the online classes and then submit to them test results and stuff?

Thank you all so much I really do appreciate it so much, John

Re: Help Please

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:41 am
by Theodore
Here's the legal info on homeschooling in Massachusetts:

Sadly, you're still within the compulsory schooling age (until you turn 17), so you need to fulfill the legal requirements by sending a notification letter and education plan to the school superintendant. The education plan is usually put together by the parents, but in this case you'll be putting it together yourself and having your parents (or guardians, depending) look it over and sign it. You will, after all, be teaching yourself.

As for actually doing the homeschooling, you don't need to take courses in everything, just the subjects you find most difficult. For easier subjects, just look for course syllabuses online and work through the recommended material, then follow up with some form of standardized test (AP, CLEP, or DANTES) to prove your proficiency. You don't have to prove yourself to the school system, but if you intend to enter college at some point or apply for a technical job, the test scores will come in very handy for getting college credit or a better starting position.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:43 pm
by Princess_Fyara
You might find helpful.

I'd personally do written test prep using a book...

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:18 pm
by Theodore
I'd personally do written test (AP, DANTES, SAT, ACT, etc.) prep using a book, since you can't really simulate actual testing conditions using online materials. CLEP is taken via computer, but I see the site doesn't have CLEP prep? And I believe they removed analogies from the SAT, so you'll need essay writing more than vocabulary.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:12 am
by ciniv
Alright this is pretty helpful thanks alot and the legal info is a big help honestly, I looked into the school paid tutoring and I guess its called homebound for people with any kind of medical problem that requires a IEP/ED plan or people with mental conditions. This is why my cousin got it hes dubbed unstable or something after telling kids he was going to shoot them which I agree he dosn't need to be in school haha. I guess my eyes would count me in so I'm pretty sure I could apply for it, I have nystagmus on a level that lowers my vision, funny thing is I got my license without wearing glasses but like I said going from board to paper to board is hard in school and I do have an ED plan because of it so it should make me applicable but does anyone happen to have experience or know about "homebound".

Thanks for all the information you guys really are great, John.