help

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tmvngocdung99
User

help

Postby tmvngocdung99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:31 am

My granddaughter has always been bright, but it has just become a real issue for my daughter. She is reading books at the Harry Potter level. She can add double-digit numbers in her head. In her public school first grade class, they are reading "Run, Spot, run!" and learning to write numbers.
I think homeschooling is the only thing that will really address this issue. I worked as a teacher long enough to know that any extra time the teacher has for individual attention goes to the less advantaged kids, not to enrichment for the brightest ones. So, to help persuade my daughter, how many hours per day do you actually need to spend in school, plus preparing for lessons and going over the child's work? There are two children, a 6 year old and a 2 year old.
And can you recommend a curriculum that might meet the needs of this very bright but only age-level mature child? She quit reading Harry Potter because it was "too sad" for her when Harry's parents died early in the first book.

elliemaejune
User

Re: help

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”