New and nervous!!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momof4
User

New and nervous!!

Postby momof4 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:48 am

Last edited by momof4 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elliemaejune
User

Re: New and nervous!!

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:15 pm

momof4
User

Postby momof4 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:43 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:08 pm

Hello, momof4! Whatever curriculum you use, don't let yourself get boxed in by it. We use AOP Lifepacs and start out every year with a game plan. The game plan is just there to keep a goal in front of us. If a child needs extra time in a particular area, that trumps the game plan. If he is extremely interested in something that I planned to cover in a week, we will jump on it-even if it means staying on one topic (ie. Civil War) for a month. When I first started HSing, I wasn't comfortable enough to make these changes. I ended up making my oldest child (my guinea pig) dread school. Thankfully, the damage has been reversed but not without some big changes. He struggles with reading comprehension and I just pushed him and pushed him because we HAD to finish all the lessons. Now, he loves school more than all the rest. If I sense that one of them is taking advantage of our flexibility, guess what...they end up with more work.

Hope that helps some,
Sheila-HS mom to 4 boys

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:08 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention....I live in Indiana, too! Small world.
Sheila

momof4
User

Postby momof4 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:06 pm

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:01 am

momof4
User

Postby momof4 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:15 pm

[I'm curious why you feel you need to do 3-4's preschool for your 2 year old? My girls are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2, and we're just started some informal preschool a few months ago, but there's a lot that she can't do yet.

Hello there!
My 2 year old little boy will be turning 3 in June. So I plan on continuing teaching him his shapes, tracing, using scissors, and gluing, ect. He already knows his numbers, alphabet, and colors so three or four times a week I plan on working with him. What are you working with your daughter on?

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:35 pm

For a while we used alphabet flash cards to teach her ABCs. We haven't done that in a while, and I recently realized that while she can verbally say the alphabet, she still has a few letters that she gets wrong if I show one to her and ask what it is. Most of these are lowercase letters.

She knows the common shapes: square, circle, rectangle, triangle, oval, heart, star.

She counts from 1-14 almost perfect, and tries to go up to 20, but usually skips a number or two. Visual number recognition needs to be worked on some. She gets 8 & 9 mixed up. We haven't worked on visually identifying 11-20 yet.

She has a few simple puzzles that she works on from time to time. It takes a while before she can do one without my help. Other times she just gets this attitude of "help me, I can't do it" or "you do it" when she's perfectly capable.

She knows several colors: white, black, blue, brown, purple, red, orange, yellow, green, pink, gray.

We have an assortment of inexpensive preschool workbooks that I pick up at places like Walmart. I usually need to work with her on them (in an attempt to get her to actually do what she's supposed to do on the page, rather than just color the whole thing one color). We usually do one page at a time, then put the book away and pull out something different.

I've printed out a lot of free stuff from online, pre-writing practice pages, etc... She sometimes likes to do one of those. Her enthusiasm for them is waning, but I found that if I take 4 pages and staple them together along the left side, and tell her I have a new book for her, then she'll do a page or two, and we show the "book" to daddy when he gets home.

I've made a couple of file folder games from ideas I got from a library book. It took a long time to make (lots of glue sticks). One of them I accidentally made too hard, but she likes the other one, which is a big construction paper necktie that has 10 1" circles lined up down the length of the tie. I cut out 10 1" circles from a contrasting color, and numbered them 1-10. I laminated the whole thing (tie glued to the file folder, and each circle), then put velcro dot stickers on the back of each circle and on the circles marked on the tie. Her job is to put the circles on the tie in the right order.

The main things we're working on right now are:
>>trying to get her to do more coloring (to strengthen hand & finger muscles, and develop some fine motor skills)
>>puzzles--trying to get her to look at details, such as what color is at the edge of the puzzle piece, and where it should go (where is another piece with that color, or if the puzzle has a border, look at the colors there)
>>alphabet--visual recognition
>>numbers--learn 1-20 (verbal) and visual recognition
Last edited by gardening momma on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gardening momma
User

Postby gardening momma » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri May 04, 2007 5:53 pm

napper
User

Postby napper » Thu May 24, 2007 12:32 pm

the best advice I can give you is go on plenty of field trips, it won't matter to the young ones yet but for the older ones it is a good and fun way to learn.
I can't keep track, how many times has kenny died? I lost track at 342 and that was after 1 season. (not realy)

Return to “Getting Started”