Moving to California in May - Advice on homeschool thru ye

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Vern
User

Moving to California in May - Advice on homeschool thru ye

Postby Vern » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 am

We currently are living in Buffalo, NY and have two children in the public schools (2nd grade and 4th grade). We are planning a move to Sacramento in about 8 weeks and instead of throwing them into a new school right away I'd like to homeschool them through the end of the school year.

I homeschooled them for two years before putting them into the public schools but I'm looking for any advice on how I handle the transfer from New York to California. My main concern is making sure they get credit for finishing the year and aren't in a situation where they have to repeat grades.

I may continue to homeschool them in California but nothing is certain right now. We're planning to drive cross country for the move and I am exceedingly excited about the homeschooling opportunities that alone presents!

This is a great opportunity for us but I'm overwhelmed with how to sift through everything to find out exactly what California requires from us.

Any advice?????

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am

Some pages listing the California legal requirements:

California Homeschool Network
Christian Home Educators Association of California
Homeschool Association of California (HSC)

You may also find our California Homeschool Groups page useful.

Basically, homeschooling under an ISP is probably the easiest, but ISPs charge a small fee. Short of that, you can set yourself up as a private school, which will require some additional record-keeping and covering the same minimum coursework as the public schools, but nothing too horrible.

If you intend to get your kids back into public school at the start of the next school year, you probably want to contact the public school now to find out how they handle entrance. They may just have a standard placement exam, in which case you probably don't have to worry, or they could require graduation from the previous grade, which means you'll want to finish whatever coursework is left over and provide a portfolio of work. Either way, the more information you have in advance, and the more time to handle it, the better. Get all responses in writing!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Moving to California in May - Advice on homeschool thru

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Vern
User

Postby Vern » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:50 pm

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:48 pm

Return to “Getting Started”