Can I pull her out now and do the paperwork later?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Bea
User

Can I pull her out now and do the paperwork later?

Postby Bea » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:23 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:18 am

You didn't specify your state, but assuming based on your other post that you're located in Alabama, you can get a summary of the legalities of homeschooling from the CHEF of Alabama site.

Basically, you need to find a church school that you can homeschool under and file the paperwork with the local school superintendent:

The enrollment and attendance of a child in a church school shall be filed with the local public school superintendent by the parent, guardian or other person in charge or control of the child on a form provided by the superintendent or his agent which shall be countersigned by the administrator of the church school and returned to the public school superintendent by the parent.

Here's a list of church schools:
http://www.chefofalabama.org/school_list.htm

And a list of Alabama support groups (with some church schools mixed in):
http://www.home-school.com/groups/AL.html

In the absence of specific info from the law, I'm assuming that the procedure is to (a) inform the school superintendent that you're pulling your kid out, and request a form (b) fill out and sign the form (c) have your church school of choice countersign the form and (d) return the form. IMPORTANT: You need a written record of (a) and (d), just in case - any official correspondence to the public school system should be photocopied and sent certified mail, to prevent any potential problems like your form getting "lost" on the way in.

There should be no reason why you can't pull your daughter out now, so long as you immediately start with the process outlined above and get it all done in the next week or two.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Return to “Getting Started”