Frustrated and I dont know what to do.

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

aprilsparrow
User

Frustrated and I dont know what to do.

Postby aprilsparrow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 am

riccalo
User

Postby riccalo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Have you thought about taking some time off for a while? Taking a break from homeschooling will allow you and your son to come back to it refreshed and ready to have fun and learn together. I would suggest that the two of you get out of the house a bit more often. As a homeschooler you should be using the world as your "classroom", not keeping yourself locked up in a classroom. Wander around your city/town (play at parks, go window shopping, explore in the woods, play outdoor games, take nature walks, visit your local library, go bike riding together, visit a farm, have a picnic, visit museums, go see a movie, etc.). You also might want to consider joining a homeschool support group so the two of you can meet new people (if you haven't already done so). If the two of you are unhappy with the curriculum - change it up a bit, find different ways to learn about the topics in the curriculum. Your son can learn and have fun at the same time, you just have to find unique resources and information on topics he's intereted in.

I hope that this was of some help to you and your son. I wish you both the best of luck in your homeschooling journey. :)
-Erica

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 am

Recently, My kids and I (boy, 14 and girl, 8) took a break and did a mini research/study of Japan. We did this after reading a book by Allen Say called "Grandfather's Journey." We put our regular book work aside during this and spend a few weeks on this "unit study." After this they were ready to get back to their regular subjects.

We find that spreading out our year to do some in the summer months beats the summer boredoms. We do a year round schedule, with breaks every few weeks, our time off is usually only 2 or 3 days at a time. We do a week off for vacations, but even we find things to do and learning opportunities going places. We are never without a good book to read while traveling in the car. They like books on tape too while we travel.

We put their research and work in a book form. My dd found pictures of things she read about, such their culture, foods, land, animals, customs, clothing, and houses.

My ds wrote a short essay, and included pictures of war planes, War World II and about the A bombs that were dropped on Japan. He found some interesting information reading and researching in books from the library and on the computers.

We usually go to the library once a week or at the most 3 times a month,

Science can be done outside. Study animals in your area. Do a bird study, study about squirrels, find books at the library about their habitats, food, other facts, study their body parts, bones, and etc.

I also recommend a website that I use for worksheets for science, history and etc. it is enchanted learning http://www.enchantedlearning.com

If you don't have a computer at home, use the library's computers. Our library has computers for children in the children's area for their use, during the school day, they have them to their selves, and it is quiet with only a few preschoolers or other homeschoolers around.

I also suggest finding a homeschool support group in your area for field trips, play-dates, socialization with other kids and parents, and co-op lessons to enhance what your child is learning.
Sharon

Blissfulteacher
User

Postby Blissfulteacher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Katiehathaway75
User

Trips around your area

Postby Katiehathaway75 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Katie, mom of two DDs

Return to “Suggest a Topic”