Suggestions Wanted for a Homeschooling Center

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

revolutionary
User

Suggestions Wanted for a Homeschooling Center

Postby revolutionary » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Hello~

I am opening a one-stop shop homeschooling resource center in Orange County, CA. My goal is to make the process easier to understand and navigate for parents and children, and to make homeschooling more accessible to lower-income families.

I would like to ask for your advice!

What would homeschooling parents want and need in a resource center?

I am in the process of obtaining brochures from private schools and curriculum companies, putting together and obtaining permission to use lists of tips and guidelines from websites, and contacting the local homeschool organizations to tap into their field trips and other extracurricular activities.

I would love to hear your ideas~ Thank you so much! :D

Lorelei Sieja
User

Rented books

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm

I homeschooled four kids. I bought a lot of stuff - but didn't always use it. I loaned out my stuff, and often never got it back. I would have DONATED it to a resource center! To a place that might rent materials at a fraction of their purchase price, but also keep records (I wasn't good at this) so the materials come back to be used again. And it would have saved me a ton of money. I mean, if I had a book or program I really liked, I would still have purchased it. Like the Saxon math books. I bought them all, knowing that all of the kids would use them. But it would have been great to "try before you buy" some of the more expensive programs and packages.

I'd like to see a video/CD library. Not for major release movies that you can get at blockbuster, but the educational type that are too expensive to buy, but probably better viewing. I bought a couple (again, loaned them out) on Creation Science, and natural wildlife, and on the planets and solar system. Our library didn't have many of these types of movies, either.

Homeschool games! Whether for sale or rent, games are always a great choice.

A place for meetings. Make your resource more than just a store. Offer homeschool groups a place to hold meetings - whether you sponsor them, or just collect a small rent - it would draw more people into your store. Like Hobby Lobby offering craft classes. You could offer "classes" and hire some one (an experienced homeschool mom) to come in and teach on a variety of topics.

A place for swaps - allow a bulletin board for homeschoolers to get in touch with each other. Maybe they will want to swap out-grown clothing, or babysitting services. Or organize their own Homeschool 4H club. Who knows?

Hope this helps.

Lorelei
Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Return to “Suggest a Topic”