Hometeacher Support

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Suzu
User

Hometeacher Support

Postby Suzu » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:05 am

I would like to see supportive articles or sections in a magazine for Hometeaching parents who have had only an average education themselves.
So much of what is 'required' seems fluff to my husband and me. We did not take 2 years of English, 2 years of Lit, 3 years of Math and 4 sciences along with all those electives.
Rather we were in vocational classes with just an additional class here and there. I remember being rather stessed to see the list of subjects required of our state's students.
Feeling pressured to fit it all in with my oldest has taken the joy out of teaching and learning. (My oldest is 18 and graduating, while my youngest just turned 6 and is registering this year. We have 9 children.)
I do not think that ANY of my family has been completely satisfied in any of our curriculum that we are using.
I wish them to learn with interest and be able to RETAIN. The curriculum that I am using in most subjects is too packed and full of things we wouldn't use for day to day living.
I wish our homeschool to move along smoothly, timely, and effectively.
When pressured to achieve so many subjects, they are not mastering them.
I may not be covering numerous subjects, but what we do cover, I want them to learn well.
I'd like to see some guidance that will help the average hometeachers in this area.
If anyone responds to this, I will then add info on our family's style of teaching and what kinda works and what seems to hold us back.[/i]
Susan

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:40 am

Do you use a "boxed" curriculum that includes all subjects? If so, you might want to consider putting together your own curriculum. That way you can use only things that you really love.

Even though your state requires that certain subjects be taught, for example, during the high school years..............remember that you have the freedom to teach those subjects in any way you like.

You might want to consider block scheduling with your subjects, where you focus on only one thing at a time. That way your children would not feel as pressured. They can focus on only one thing at a time and will remember what they have learned.

You can set it up in different ways. Your child could do only subject for one week and nothing else, or it could be one day, or one month. I personally think that math should be done every day, just to keep it fresh in your mind.

You can also begin to focus on the 3 R's, especially with your younger children. Simplify. When kids are young, they can just read library books on science and history topics or you can read aloud to all of them in the evenings for those subjects.

Just a few ideas. Don't use anything that takes the joy out of teaching and learning. If the curriculum isn't working, try something new. Hope this helps.

Suzu
User

Reply to Laura

Postby Suzu » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 am

Thankyou.
No, I am NOT using a boxed curriculum.
I don't wish to be negative towards any particular curriculum but, by stating what I've been using I will be able to make you understand better.
'In the beginning, (wink) back in 1999, we began using BJU's Math. It was fun for a few years and then became much too hard for us. (math is my major weak point.) I will say though, that while teaching the 2nd grade level I actually found where my problem in math had lain...all these years later. I'm ashamed for the public schools that didn't catch my problem.
We also bought history and science through them.
We use How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Though the book itself looks quite boring to the adult, lol, my kids loved it and only 1 child has used my own homemade version.
The kids have always been late readers. I'm fine with that, but it does 'set you back' in areas such as language. We never use an actual text in English until grade 6- we just read a lot. I am counting on Experience in reading getting them familiar with the English language...BUT it does make me nervous. We have dabbled with Simply Grammar at times as well, but I don't think we ever completed the entire book- I notice that the author's terminology is much different than other grammar books, which caused me much confusion and stress.
We had been using The Natural Speller until last year. In which I basically gave up and just show the children their spelling errors. Some of them have been wise and used The Natural Speller on their own when they had a question. I have always been very unclear what all the spelling rules are and would love a smple, straightforward book that states it plainly. (I am a natural reader and don't even remember being taught most of the rules.)
We have switched to Math U See. I love it, my husband doesn't. I have 2 children who can not get through the Pre-Algebra book. I can't either, since I've never taken anything beyond basic math. I moved them on to the Stewardship book (a Christian conumer math).
In the middle years and highschool I still use the BJU textbooks adding Writing and Grammar, Literature and Vocabulary. We can never seem to get a book finished in a year, so we always have a burden of guilt each year when we fall behind. To ME, it doesn't matter, but I worry about the state.
We do use Library books, and it IS the most enjoyable time, however I worry that there will be something I will be missing. I've considered just using the BJU History book as a guide and springboard. All this soundsd lovely, but then I wonder about highschool transcripts etc.
I know as a homeschooler I have the right to create my own requirements within the basic 'assurances that I will teach certain topics'. I just need someone to lead me to a comfy curriculum that matches my family.
It is very important that you understand that my husband is now disabled and filing for disability and that we've dealt with this since my oldest was 5 years old. We've always had trouble financially because he struggled to get to work for so long. He spent 6 straight months completely bedridden last year. With some nerve pain medicine he is able to now get up, but he has never been able to wrestle with the children and be active with them. Still they are all very close to him and have many deep discussions. His strong point has been that he teaches our boys how to do home improvement projects and they are very skilled in that area and many people request their services. So for us, hands on projects have always been more important than academics.
QUESTIONS: I am looking for good list of spelling rules. A more streamlined way to teach grammar at all levels. And would love a a great Citizenship book, and an Ohio state history and government book. (we used a library one but it was more like a text.) btw, we pretty much hate the science texts. The A Beka one for 8th grade looks very interesting. Are they all?
With my disabled husband, and trying to settle in a new house, I am not going to have a lot of time to research and create my own plan. OH! by the way, we have been blessed recently to be able to move from a 1100 sq. ft. home to a 2800 sq ft. home. We won a settlement from work and were able to pay cash. This house is only a 4 minute walk from our local library so it's important that you know we have that easy access now.
Sorry for talking your ear off, just need someone to keep me from being discouraged. I will give you the ages of my children so that you understand how much 'time' is available to me. My 18 year old is finished. 17yr old daughter, 16 yr old son, 15 son, 12 son, 10 daughter, 9 son, 7 daughter and 6 daughter. My oldest daughter has been my big help throughout all this and is aiming to be a Mother's Helper for other stay at home moms after graduation.
Vision Forum Ministries has been something our family enjoys deeply. And I am a big believer in Child Readiness as Raymond and Dorothy Moore teach. I'm just overwhelmed I guess.
Susan

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:51 pm

I can see where you are overwhelmed. Just the day-to-day chores, meals, etc. is a lot and when you add in homeschooling, it becomes even more difficult. I have 4 children and my husband also has serious health problems. At one time, we had 7 children when we had foster daughters.....so I can somewhat relate to how much you have to do each day. I admire you -- I don't know if most moms would be up to the challenges you face.

I highly recommend Easy Grammar. It is not hard to understand and very affodable. We love it. The workbooks are not colorful. They look kind of boring but it gets the job done.

Here are a couple of links for spelling rules:

http://www.dyslexia.org/spelling_rules.shtml

http://www.spelling.hemscott.net/

Here are two for citizenship:

http://www.easyfunschool.com/article1081.html

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/learn ... itizen.htm

Here is one for Ohio state history:

http://www.easyfunschool.com/article2277.html

That is so great that you were able to move to a larger house! I would encourage you to take some time to search things you need online over the summer. There are SO many free educational resources available on the internet. Maybe you could take advantage of them to save money.

I recommend Teaching Textbooks for algebra, but I know it is expensive. You might be able to borrow it from a friend or buy it used. I think your kids would be able to understand it, starting with PreAlgebra and moving on to Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry.

Suzu
User

Home Teacher support

Postby Suzu » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:32 am

Thankyou so much! Giving up on homeschooling is certainly no option for us. I'm just trying to get an idea of more pleasant and workable books. I am never able to go to conventions to look over the books myself.
Last night I was able to organize some thoughts and write down books we have read on Historical time periods. I would love to be able to make up a book that contains lists like that. I intend to have something like that done so my own children have an easier time than I am. :) With 8 more children go go, ONE of these years oughta flow smoothly!
One of the things I suggest, even though it may sound overwhelming, is to try an all year school. You can arrange the days off however you wish and work however many hours a day you and the children are comfortable with. For me, with so many children a day, it is nicer to only be required 2 hours a day on academics and a couple on the fun stuff-art, music, physical fitness. The last half can certainly be less formal. In this way, it lessons the pressure on ME. And with only doing school those few hours the kids can get it done BEFORE lunch if they are morning people, or AFTER if they prefer.
We began this two years ago. The problem is we never got a chance to enjoy it fully. The first year Hubby suffered a kind of nervous breakdown and was off work for 50 weeks, then he went back for 4 months and his back went out. He has arthritis in the spine, putting pressure on his spinal cord.
Hubby wants to give the all-year school another chance.
It's funny to see how your school years change with each passing child. The work will be getting EASIER eventually.
THANK YOU for all those links, Laura. I'm going to check each of them out and see what I can can put together.
Referring to the Easy Grammar-isn't it funny that the least colorful things end up being what the children like? That's how it was for How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. A ridiculously long name... lol. I think the kids like it because the readable sentences start out with 2 words and by the end of the book they can read a whole page. I give awards for every 25 lessons. I only have one more child to teach in that though and it goes up, HIGH, on the shelf for future grandkidders. :) HIGHHHHHHHHH. wink.
Okay, off I go to research your links.
THANK YOU! :o
Susan

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 am

You're welcome! :)

Return to “Suggest a Topic”