How do you homeschool with very little money?

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bruisin
User

Postby bruisin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:06 am

my children are currently in 6th & 7th grades, is this an expensive time period?

What about SAT's??
I have held many things in my life & I have lost them all, but that which I have placed in God's hands I still retain.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:47 pm

bruisin
User

Postby bruisin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:02 pm

I have held many things in my life & I have lost them all, but that which I have placed in God's hands I still retain.

barabi51
User

Postby barabi51 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best. --Henry van Dyke

Teatime
User

Frugal parenting/homeschooling

Postby Teatime » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:23 pm

Lego robotics...now that sounds like fun!

Our town is tiny, and the next town over is small. We depend on the library a LOT. What we were pleased to discover (now that we are homeschooling and pay attention to all the little "extras") is that our library hosts all sorts of special events. In the last month, my kids have gone to Spa Night (cool stuff to make with kitchen ingredients, lots of science going on there) and free Art Lessons (turns out the new library director was an art major). There are movie nights (always based on books!), story hour for the little ones, craft days, and book discussion groups. We are thrilled with the amount of stuff available to us, even in our little neck of the woods.

Another surprise for me was free textbooks from public school teachers. Found out the free sample books from the publishers were headed for the dumpster. What a shame! We just asked, and they were happy to get them off their shelves. These are brand new student and teacher textbooks. We had several quality books to choose from, so brought a few promising ones home. Don't know if this would work for everyone, but this was in a highschool building where everyone has known our family for years.
New to homeschooling
Old to parenting and marriage

Teatime
User

another source

Postby Teatime » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Oh! One more source for textbooks: the "used books" section at the college bookstore.

At an off-campus bookstore at our local university, I picked up a decent algebra book and two biology books. Total cost was $8. I took the kid with me and we spent some time sitting on the floor poring through these books before we made our decision as everything needed to meet both of our needs. I think if a person is careful, this can work well. Just watch out for the books that have been highlighted to death!
New to homeschooling

Old to parenting and marriage

barabi51
User

discarded college texts

Postby barabi51 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best. --Henry van Dyke

macro_grp02
User

Online Searches

Postby macro_grp02 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 am

It would be helpful if you search curriculum online. Most of the time, these online information also have books that are included in their curriculum. Search for a PDF copy of the book or download it online. You print and out and wallah. You have a book.

Crysalis
User

Postby Crysalis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 am

Return to “Suggest a Topic”