Educational trips and travel?

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

milehimom
User

homeschool travelers

Postby milehimom » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:20 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:07 pm

I would love that. My husband's job doesn't require travel but he can work and travel at the same time and i think that would be a great idea!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed May 09, 2007 4:03 pm

If I could afford the travel, I think it would be a fantastic way for the kids to study, history, art, geography and social studies!

As it is we always learn when we travel. Our first year of home school we went to New Orleans for a "field trip." That year the Museum had a FANTASTIC recreation of a room of the dead with some of the book of the dead written on the walls!

The entire exhibit was great but that was my highlight. That wasn't all that we learned about though. We love that city. It has a rich, partly family, history as well.

On our cruise this year we became interested in researching how jobs on cruises are handled. Also the economic situation in Mexico was interesting to study. The Incan ruins were wonderful to study. The second largest reef in the world was great to see and study as well.

Theme parts are great for studying physics among other things.

Chicago was packed with science, architecture, history, art and improv study opportunities.

The beach is always great as well.

We've also been to storytelling festivals. They are fantastic learning opportunities!

But man, if I could afford to travel the world with them, that would be even better. I'd consider it ideal!

Stellar

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu May 10, 2007 8:32 am

I can't wait to go to the creation museum in Kentucky! I know that not all of you believe in creation but this museum is really cool. www.answersingenesis.com is building it, and it has some great information that you won't find in any secular or even some Christian science curriculum. I have another family that is going with us, we just have to set the dates when it opens.

tekkie50
User

Postby tekkie50 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:14 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:53 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:00 pm

There is a company that actually has a HS cruise. I knew I couldn't afford it so I threw it away, but it looked really fun.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:01 pm

milehimom
User

free museums

Postby milehimom » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:54 pm

We just returned from a trip to Chicago. I stumbled onto a tourist website that listed the dates that the museums are free! WOW! What a find. We went to the Field Museum, the Shedd Acquairium, and the Adler Planetarium ALL for free. The only problem was we went to all three on the same day and two of them were QUITE crowded since it was a free day. Not all exhibits were in the FREE category either. Still, free is free. Before we go to any new city again, I'm going to check on their free days!!
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:01 pm

That's awesome!

I do try to avoid crowds though. I consider that one of the perks of home schooling.

Lesteraction
User

Re: Educational trips and travel?

Postby Lesteraction » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:27 am

We recently came back from a trip to Chicago. I stumbled onto a travel website that provided a schedule of free museum days. WOW! What a find. We enjoyed free admission to the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium. The only issue was that since it was a free day, we went to all three on the same day, and two of them were QUITE packed. Not all displays fell under the heading of FREE items either. Free is still free. I'm going to check on their free days before we visit any new cities again.

https://faisalkiani.com/fake-people-quotes/

Return to “Suggest a Topic”