Lunch Ideas Anyone?

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

Lunch Ideas Anyone?

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 pm

I am looking for some interesting, but not too time consuming nutritious lunch ideas for guys. I am surrounded by little boys, bigger boys, teenage boys, young men, and my husband who does not eat like I do. I am small and my nutritional needs are different. I don't eat all that strange, but I can be satisfied with almonds scattered on a salad, a peach, cup of yogurt, and a piece or two of dark chocolate. They would rather starve! Any ideas for lunches or different kinds of sandwiches? We are in a lunch rut.

Theodore

Re: Lunch Ideas Anyone?

Postby Theodore » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Well, the most important ingredient is the bread. If you can cook a batch of that up every few days, it'll help a lot. Next is what to put on top of the bread. Fresh deli meat is good (I like turkey and/or roast beef myself), with just enough mayo added so the meat sticks to the bread, or you can make grilled cheese sandwiches, or mix up some chicken salad and spread that over the bread. Various egg sandwiches are a possibility too, and there's always garlic toast or french toast with something else on the side.

Yogurt is good, but not plain yogurt unless you're trying to make them lose weight. So is applesauce, and mosts sorts of fruit or fruit juice (though orange juice shouldn't be drunk regularly on an empty stomach, it's acidic). I'm also personally partial to deviled eggs, sausage, bacon, etc., though I'm not sure how healthy those are when eaten daily :)

But to repeat myself, the most important ingredient is the bread. If you have to use store bread, it's best to toast it lightly first so it doesn't go all squishy when you bite into it. Home-made whole wheat bread is much better.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:15 pm

I have three boys that don't stop till bedtime. Lunch is almost on the run sometimes :) We often have a smorgasborg (sp?) A pile of things. Carrots and ranch dressing, apples and peanut butter, crackers and cheese, graham crackers, pepperoni, tomatoes..... I'm sure you can think of a few things like this. The strange thing is, they eat more and better than if I made a PBJ, or grilled cheese.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:57 pm

It's all in the marketing. Studies have shown that people are more likely to buy if they have a choice, and I imagine the same goes for food as for products, especially if some of the items used to be hiding in the back of the refrigerator :

Princess_Fyara
User

:)

Postby Princess_Fyara » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:06 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:04 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

gellegbs
User

Postby gellegbs » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:47 pm

Pita bread pizzas- pita bread as your dough, pizza sauce, alfredo sauce, veggies and cheese or chopped ham, whatever toppings you like. If you don't want to use a sauce brush top of pita with olive oil. Bake in oven at 350F till cheese is melted.

Wraps- Lay a warm burrito sized tortilla on a plate (must be warm so it doesn't tear when folding) Put a Tablespoon of salad dressing and smooth it in a circle around the middle of the tortilla. Place veggies and meat on the tortilla and roll up. Good combinations, leftover chicken with mixed greens, almonds and Newman's own Asian vinegarette. Or mixed greens and black beans and a dallop of sour cream.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 am

For some reason, our pita bread always ends up soggy, and soggy pita bread has a rather nasty taste - at least in my opinion.

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi,
I got some good ideas from Menus4mom, for lunches. I also go to Allrecipes a lot.

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”