Do high schools still teach Home Economics?

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

maha

Do high schools still teach Home Economics?

Postby maha » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:04 am

Are home economics classes still offered in high schools? Also, I am wondering how many boys take this class, and has anyone ever had a male home economics teacher?

pinkers
User

Postby pinkers » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 am

TheresaHPIR
User

Postby TheresaHPIR » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:01 pm

I graduated in 2001 and we didn't have home ec in my high school.

However, we did have home ec in middle school as a nine week course each year. One year was sewing, another was cooking, and I really cannot remember the third. The teacher was female, but EVERYONE was required to take all three classes, so there were always plenty of boys in there.

Our high school DID offer a semester cooking class...but that's all it was. Again, the instructor was female...she had been teaching for 50 years at the school in that, or a similar position, lol.

While not a required class, it was generally seen as an Easy A class with little to no work, so there were plenty of guys in there from what I can remember. I hated cooking, so I never took the class, but I had several friends, both male and female, who took it and would bring the rest of us cookies, pizzas, brownies, and cakes nearly every day for lunch.

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”