Juicers

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

Juicers

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:50 pm

There are so many juicers to choose from. I've read about various ones on the internet. Maybe next week I can get out to really look at a few. It needs to be quiet, not to large, clean easily, not jump across the counter, large enough chute to add whole fruits, and produce juice without waste. Any suggestions?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Buy a random juicer from Walmart, then return it if it isn't what you want and try another. Try not to buy Chinese, you never know what went into the materials or paint :)

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:01 pm

I avoid buying Chinese products whenever possible.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Although these suggestions are pricey, they are so because they are really the best of the best.

The best extractor: Green Star, formerly Green Life, is the best because it crushes the food between two gears with no heating to destroy natural enzymes and it can be used for making wheat grass juice. It also uses magnets to enhance the stability of the freshness of the food.

The best whole food juicer: VitaMix provides a the combination of the juice and fiber from either fruits or vegetables. It also can grind grains into flour and prepare bread dough. This is the only blender I have in my home and their customer service is really great.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:49 am

We have a VitaMix, I think, as well as a juicer I can't remember the brand name for.

Regarding Green Star, magnets to enhance the stability of freshness? Sounds a bit hokey to me. And I haven't yet seen a juicer heat the juice to a temperature where the natural enzymes are going to start breaking down (118 degrees for 3 minutes or longer). Nobody likes warm juice, so keeping the juice cool is probably standard in all juicers. Just chill your fruit a bit first if you're worried about this.

Having taken a marketing course, this sounds remarkably similar to Coke putting dates on their cans and advertising that their soda was fresher than the competition's - even though soda lasts pretty much forever inside cans, and "freshness" is a totally useless attribute. Still, the tactic worked and they gained a bunch of market share. Similarly, if you can't find a juicer that heats the juice to more than 118 degrees, then the fact that x juice keeps the juice cool doesn't really matter much :)

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:54 pm

How much higher? Is there a quantifiable difference between the subtle energy of regular juice and special juice? How about between the health of people who drink regular juice and those who drink special juice? Does it matter whether magnets are applied during the process, or after?

I like to see hard data, and this still sounds like something that has to be taken on faith. If so, can you be sure that the effects are real and not placebo?

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:14 am

I really don't have the time to explain my analysis processes, which are complicated. A summarized version is a 4-hour seminar.

My thoughts are that if eating organic foods, which are much higher in "life energy" than conventionally raised foods is not a high priority then the energy levels in the juice made is probably not really going to be much of a concern either. I gave my recommendations, and I have no hard feelings if anyone rejects them.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:21 pm

You are a good sport. All of this conversation is good food for thought.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:54 am

I just wrote an article about how to afford organic foods because this is the number one opposition I hear. Believe me that I well know the difference in the costs, but I know in the long run it is cost effective to eat preventatively for one's health in comparison to the cost and emotionally anguish of the sick trying to regain health. Many people can grow their own food, buy in bulk when items are on sale, etc. I am a member of a store that is a co-op and on two days of the week, they give an extra 5% off the entire bill. If it is a real priority, many people can find a way.

Besides that what most people miss is that the organic food is just more nutritious, because of how the farmer must enrich the soil by natural means instead of spaying the plants with chemicals. Now when my husband was still training for competitions, let me tell you that he could really eat. The first time we walked into a health food store, I thought that there was no way we could really afford eating organic foods. We bought the same amount of food we normally did and, yeah...it was definitely more expensive. But, you know what? At the end of the week we had more food left than we normally would. He ended up eating less at each meal because the food was more nutritious and filling. So in the long run, it really did not cost much more than what we had been spending, he did not have to buy as much supplements, and his workouts improved.

As to life energy, as I said it is a 4-hour seminar to explain. Our bodies use various energies that cannot really be measured by conventional means. I mean, how much light does the body need on a given day? Yet we all know that sunlight is important to facilitate certain functions in the body. The body has electricity (nervous system) and can use electricity for therapy. I have worked with many people over the years who are "allergic" to electromagnetic fields, including children diagnosed with ADD. However, there are natural electromagnetic fields that are actually healing, because they have that "life energy" factor. There are other energies most people do not see or feel, but they do influence us.

You don't have to believe a thing I say. However, I would simply ask you: Do you think enriched soil would yield more nutritious foods than plants grown in poorer soils sprayed with chemicals? More to the point, would you rather have child that look healthy on the outside and is nutritionally lacking on the inside. Please don't be personally offended, that is not my intention. I am just pointing out that old saying, "we are what we eat." Anyone can spray just the right chemicals on a plant to make it grow fast and look good, but I prefer to support the farmers and their families who really work the soil to make it rich in nutrients so that the produce is genuinely more nutritious.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Sunlight is quantifiable and is known to produce vitamin D, and yes, organic foods are richer in vitamins and various other healthy things (which is why so many people need to take supplements these days). However, that doesn't mean that there are microfields of some unspecified kind inside organic foods, or even if there are microfields, that mass-produced foods don't have them as well. Mass-produced foods receive energy from the sun too.

Magnetic fields, incidently, have been tested and proven to increase circulation in smaller blood vessels, so you can use magnets to reduce inflammation if applied right after an injury. I'm not so sanguine about long-term use producing magic benefits, however - you need to eliminate the placebo effect first before you can be sure. My guess is that people who are "allergic" just have cell clusters that for whatever reason, vibrate at the same frequencies that TV, cell phones, etc. use. It can't be regular magnetic fields, since the field strength is going to be negligible from more than a few feet away, weaker than the magnetic field of the earth.

EDIT: BTW, I forgot to note that overfarming land even while fertilizing with natural substances is going to produce food low in vitamins and minerals and so on, and "natural" generally means more prone to disease and bugs. How do you feel about genetic engineering, so long as the fertilizer is natural?

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:36 am

I would also point out that when you ask a blessing on over your food, it also changes the energy patterns. Is that something you could believe --or is asking for God's blessing on food just a ritual honoring Him only?

Sorry, edited this post by mistake rather than posting a new one - make sure I didn't edit anything out (Theodore)

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:11 am

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”