Learn to knit with your child

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

KnittingKnicely
User

Learn to knit with your child

Postby KnittingKnicely » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Ever wonder what it will be like once your children have graduated?
Will they still want to hang out with you?
Will they still love doing things with you?
Will they still confide in you?
Will they become a great friend?

I wonder about this with my own kids, because I have been blessed to experience a continuing relationship with my parents. We love getting together every week and just chatting or playing games or watching a favorite movie.

But I’m afraid the reality is that many young adults do not continue close friendships with their families. Sure, they visit during special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas and maybe Easter, but that’s not the kind of relationship I dream about having with my kids.

I want them to enjoy sharing their lives with me. To include me in their highs and their lows. To allow me to support them and encourage them through their lives. To transition from parent/teacher to comrade/friend.

I lie awake at night sometimes, wondering if there’s something I can do to encourage this deeper and long lasting relationship. How do I capture their interest to want to walk this journey of life together with me?

We may not have the same passions or interests, but I’ve noticed that when we try out new things together, when we learn a new skill and work through the same struggles together, something magical happens. We end up with something in common to talk about and to help each other with. And I LOVE this feeling of mutual creativeness as we bounce ideas off one another.

What about you? Do you feel this strong desire to stay close to your children as they step into the adult chapter of their lives? What are some ways that you have found that can encourage a close-knit family?
I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Here’s one idea that you can try if you are searching for inspiration. Clicking the link will take you to a quick guide that will help you and your child start learning to knit.

https://aw18ead0.aweb.page/p/b8bbe3ec-2 ... 8b80c13d00

Here’s to happy homeschooling and happy families!
Donielle Showvay
Knitting Knicely
“Building close-knit relationships through the timeless skill of knitting”

nanalyly
User

Re: Learn to knit with your child

Postby nanalyly » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:30 am

Begin by introducing your child to the yarn and needles. Let them feel the texture of the yarn and explore the knitting needles. Explain that the long, straight needles will help them create stitches https://connectionsunlimited.io/

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”