Chalk board paint

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

Chalk board paint

Postby Regina Hogsten » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:28 am

The past month I have been teaching and helping my daughter paint her house among many necessary things to do before moving in. I guess I painted about five rooms. One of my favorites was the little boys room which was painted in blue with yellow trim. I hung one wall with yellow starred wall paper. (Hanging wall paper? I have to be bribed!) The play room was painted in green with white trim. But, what I really like and the kids are really enjoying is the black board wall in the playroom. I taped off a large rectangle at the right height for growing 2 and 4 year olds. Tnen I taped around the rectangle in order to paint a yellow border around the large rectangle. I used black chalkboard paint to cover the large rectangle. It turned out better than I thought it would. The adults are having more fun scribbling than the kids. When the kids outgrow it or it becomes a nuisance, paint over it.

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:27 pm

I have a friend that owns a children's resale shop and she painted an entire corner with the chalkboard paint. The kids love it!!!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:00 am

This sounds like something we should try, when and if we can find some free wall space :) Writing legibly on a chalk board is a useful skill in some high school / college courses, and it does take practice, so anything that makes it easier to get that practice is a plus. I knew you could buy chalkboards, but I didn't know you could make your own just by painting a wall, which is way more interesting and allows you to write directly on the wall.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:14 pm

I found that a thin coat of drywall mud will fill in an old rough wall and make writing with chalk easier and more legible.
Tape off the area to be painted. Then, spread on a layer of mud. Let dry. Sand lightly. Brush on two layers of chalkboard paint.
Buy yourself a box of multicolored chalk and have fun. Remember to share your chalk with the little kids.

mjd23
User

Postby mjd23 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:31 am

Hey guys, I know this is a pretty late post but I'm still new here. I'm just wondering if anyone of you tried using this product, it's called tintable chalkboard paint, I just found this site that sells it and I'm really getting near to buying it.. Can you please advice me on what to do.. This is the link:
http://www.thehardwarecity.com/getProdu ... ku=6316897

mmaja5325
User

Postby mmaja5325 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:09 am

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”