Making Sense of OT Law

Anything having to do with religion or religious debate goes here.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

angw8
User

Making Sense of OT Law

Postby angw8 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:05 pm

I found this originally on the this forum in Just for Chat , pasted it and saved it . Decided it is too thought provoking not to have up here again...

Does the day we worship on matter ? Wasn't the law done away with and a new system of salvation by faith put in place?

My family have been blessed by a day of rest. We don't look at the school books (the children like that), we stop our daily routine of work, and lay aside the common chores and devote the day to spiritual nourishment. We talk, pray, study the Bible, walk or drive in nature, visit with other like-minded people, and sometimes visit neighbors, take gifts to people etc. We don't consider "keeping the Sabbath" legalistic, but vital to strengthen our walk, and faith in Christ.

Saved Jews in the Old Testament were saved by faith.
No Jew in the old testament was saved by works. Ro 3:20 “Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin. Hebrews 11 speaks of the faith of Samuel, David, Moses, Jacob, Isaac, etc. and Romans 4:3 says of Abraham the father of the Jewish nation, “... Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.â€
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

Embassy
User

Re: Making Sense of OT Law

Postby Embassy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:50 pm

Homeschooling ds aged 7 and ds aged 5
Our Homeschool Adventure
Review Homeschool Curriculum

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:23 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, "Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work", so there's obviously supposed to be one day of rest. It was originally the seventh day, or Saturday, but was changed to Sunday to commemorate Jesus's resurrection. Is this the correct day to be using? Well, it's tradition, and I think the best choice for Christians - certainly better than picking a day at random. The Jewish religion is more OT and chooses the original day.

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Jesus said something relevant to this in Mark 7:9
"And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition."
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:36 am

Perhaps this will be contrary to the traditions you wish to hold, but...

While Jesus was in the flesh he was under the law (refer the scripture in Mark that you shared, Ang). Once He shed his blood, once and for all... the curse of the law was nailed to the Cross. It is entirely up to you if you choose to observe the law. However, you are negating the sacrifice of God's only begotten.

I am not doubting that some of the law is beneficial to this day, but if you do not follow it to a T (there are hundreds of commandments, not just 10), you are 100% guilty. I would much prefer to receive the benefits given to me by the Spotless Lamb. I am saved by grace through faith.

Return to “Religious Discussion / Topics”