looking for a program/books

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

clouise
User

looking for a program/books

Postby clouise » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:02 am

Hi, I'm new here. My name is Claire and I have three kids who are 3 1/2, 2, and 5 months old. My older kids have been in full-time and then part-time childcare and preschool (for my oldest) in the past, but now I am going to be staying home full-time with them.

I am looking for a curriculum to use with my 3 1/2 year old daughter Beth at home. I know not everyone believes in doing any kind of "formal" schooling at this age, but she really responds well to have some structure and a schedule for her day. Academically I think she is doing well for three...she knows her colors, shapes, letters, and can count to ten. So that's not really my concern...she loves to "read" and I'm sure will learn all those things in her own time. I just want to keep her excited and involved in learning - maybe teach her about the seasons, how to tell time, and things like that.

I stay pretty busy with the younger two as well so I thought buying something with lessons already planned out would be a big help for me. Two programs I am looking at our "Bright Beginnings" and "Horizons Preschool." Both have a Christian focus which would be nice, but isn't a must for me.

Can anyone provide a review of either of those programs? Or suggest a different one? Do you think she is old enough for them? She has a great attention span, but I don't want to overwhelm her with something that isn't age appropriate. Something that I could adjust to meet her level in different areas will be great. I'm also going to have to try to incorporate my two year old into some of this (he's 14 months younger than her and they're joined at the hip!) so that should be interesting. He can sit still for all of about 30 seconds so I'm sure he'll be floating in and out of whatever activity we are doing.

Thanks :) I can't wait to hear back from all you experienced moms and dads!

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:30 am

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:12 am

clouise
User

Postby clouise » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your suggestions - I'm going to look into them. :)

springmama
User

Postby springmama » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

We have just started Winterpromise's I'm ready to learn program with our 3 year old. www.winterpromise.com
Kathy, mom to 4 amazing kids!

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”