Repeat K work or teach 1st grade?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JosephL
User

Repeat K work or teach 1st grade?

Postby JosephL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 am

Hello, my first post here.

I have a 4 year old who will start Kindergarten next year. The child is already fairly proficient at Kindergarten level work and in some content areas we have moved past Kindergarten and into 1st grade subject matter.

We have about 8 more months before the child starts Kindergarten, should I introduce 1st grade level work now or should I just repeat the Kindergarten level work over and over again for the next 8 months even though they know it now?

Thank you,
Joe

elliemaejune
User

Re: Repeat K work or teach 1st grade?

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Are you going to homeschool? Then it doesn't matter one way or the other; personally, I would continue helping the child learn as much as possible, because "grade level" is irrelevant.

If your dc is going to school, be careful, because if your dc has more skills than the other children, it can be a problem.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

rueckerellis
User

Re: Repeat K work or teach 1st grade?

Postby rueckerellis » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:13 am

You may want to consider introducing some 1st grade level work to your child to keep them engaged and challenged. It's important to make sure that your child is also having fun and enjoying their learning experiences. One way to approach this is to incorporate 1st grade level work into your child's routine gradually and to continue to provide opportunities for play and exploration. You can also consider using enrichment activities or projects that allow your child to delve deeper into topics they are interested in.

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”