I need help-please!

How do you organize what your children have done into a record of work? Discuss this and other related issues here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Apples
User

I need help-please!

Postby Apples » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I wrote a couple of months ago that we were a laid-back eclectic borderline unschooling family...

At the beginning of the year I was putting everything they did into Homeschool Tracker weekly-page by page-date by date...but then we slipped into a more relaxed method where we try to follow ideals from the unschooling philosopy....

When I posted last someone gave me a link to a website that talked about Pennsylvania law and it is close to Florida law and somehow I missed that it wasn't exactly Florida law!

Florida: a log of educational activities made contemporaneously with the instruction and designating by title any reading materials used

Pennsylvania: a log, made contemporaneously with the instruction, which designates by title the reading materials used

So-I got this grand idea that I could make a summary of their work and then just have a log of reading material and activities and work books and the like...

But then today (after MONTHS of not logging daily) it dawned on me the little difference between FL and PA....PA asks for a log that goes along with the instruction...FL appears to ask for a log of educational activities.

THis is our first year-I've never had a portfolio evaluated...the internet-as vast as it is-is not helping me much!

What I need to know is...

Do I need to go back and try to find dates for their "Educational Activities" or will a detailed summary be enough? Could I say "January through February we focused on...." or "Between August and December we focused on This Workbook"

Because we don't sit down and do a Day Of School...we focus on them and learn from our environment as much as possible...but we still use workbooks and have focus in the three Rs...but..not daily.

I feel overwhelmed right now. I know I still have a few more months until my deadline but I don't like not knowing what I'm doing.

help help help. anything. help!

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Maybe this page will help.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Apples
User

Postby Apples » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 am

That's the page that I looked at first that got me all confused.

If it weren't for the different wording on the laws I'd be all set, unfortunately Florida is a little different from PA.

Return to “Recordkeeping / Portfolios”