Florida Record Keeping-relaxed homeschool...

How do you organize what your children have done into a record of work? Discuss this and other related issues here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Apples
User

Florida Record Keeping-relaxed homeschool...

Postby Apples » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:31 am

Here are the laws for my state regarding portfolios/record keeping:

(b) The parent shall maintain a portfolio of records and materials. The portfolio shall consist of the following:

1. A log of educational activities that is made contemporaneously with the instruction and that designates by title any reading materials used.

2. Samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the student.
The portfolio shall be preserved by the parent for 2 years and shall be made available for inspection by the district school superintendent, or the district school superintendent's agent, upon 15 days' written notice. Nothing in this section shall require the district school superintendent to inspect the portfolio.

(c) The parent shall provide for an annual educational evaluation in which is documented the student's demonstration of educational progress at a level commensurate with her or his ability. The parent shall select the method of evaluation and shall file a copy of the evaluation annually with the district school superintendent's office in the county in which the student resides. The annual educational evaluation shall consist of one of the following:

(C goes on to list that we can opt to 1. have the children tested, 2. have a certified teacher review the portfolio and discuss with the child, 3. the child can be "evaluated" by a teacher or 4. "evaluated" by a mutually agreed upon measurement tool (which I can't explain because I can't admit to understanding it)

My question though is this:

Up until recently we've had very easy to log activities. They were assigned work and worked from books and computer and everything was structured....but we've slowly started moving into an unschooling environment and I feel soooo lost! I've found a few things online that could help me log (I currently use Homeschool Tracker-I love it but it's easier when I actually have workbooks to log)

Does anyone unschool-or have a very relaxed homeschool-in Florida? Do I need to have this "log" detailed? Do I need to fill it with things or can I just keep a running journal of the things they did that day? Since I've never had a portfolio reviewed and very barely have an idea of what one is-I'm scared.

I want the children to be as involved in their portfolios as possible-after all, it's their portfolios!

Any advice at all would be most appreciated!

riccalo
User

Postby riccalo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:04 pm

You might find this site very useful. It has plenty of information on portfolios/record keeping.
http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/hs/homeschoolportfolios.html

It even has sample portfolios.
http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/hs/portsummaries/homeschoolportsummaries.htm

-Erica

Return to “Recordkeeping / Portfolios”