Record keeping in Texas?

How do you organize what your children have done into a record of work? Discuss this and other related issues here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Michelle1520
User

Record keeping in Texas?

Postby Michelle1520 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm

We are moving there this summer and I want to start HSing my son come fall. He will be 2nd grade by then. The city we're moving to doesn't have a local HS group that I could find. I would appreciate any input about TX laws, or lack thereof. Thanks.
~Michelle

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Welcome to the Lone Star State. :D

There are *zero* accountability requirements in Texas (oh, there are some required "subjects," but you'd have to try really hard *not* to teach them, so they're hardly worth mentioning).

The only records you should keep are those which might be useful if for some reason your dc ended up in school--immunization records, photocopy of birth certificate, a report card here and there.

Of course, you'll have records that will help you decide what to do next and like that, but those are for your own use.

And whatever you do, do NOT feel you have to notify local school officials that you're in town and homeschooling. Really. Don't. :)

Have you checked with Texas Home School Coalition for a support group?
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Michelle1520
User

Postby Michelle1520 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 pm

Thank you so much! That certainly eases my mind. I will check that link you provided. Again, thanks!
~Michelle

txfamilyof7
User

Postby txfamilyof7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Jennifer
Homeschooling Mom of 5
Our family: http://www.familyofseven.com
http://www.homeschoolingforfree.org

Return to “Recordkeeping / Portfolios”