Kindergarten Portfolio

How do you organize what your children have done into a record of work? Discuss this and other related issues here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ophelia
User

Kindergarten Portfolio

Postby Ophelia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm

I know once I get answers to this I'm going to think, "Now why didn't I think of that!", but since I'm a bit stumped and muddling through this first year....

What would you expect to see or what would you include in a Kindergarten Portfolio?

It seems to me that most of what we are doing is physical or verbal. I do have some worksheets where we practiced writing letters and numbers and some coloring pages. The rest of our work is not on paper.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:19 pm

I would expect to see:

A few pictures
periodical papers (2 or so from the beginning of the year, a few from the middle, and 2-3 at the end)
An outline of a typical day/days from a plan book.
An outline of what was covered during the year.
1-2 projects.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Of course, if she is not legally at school age, I wouldn't worry about what "they" want...just keep some stuff and a journal for your sake! Write down all the cute smart things she says that you want to remember, any "aha" moments she has, and things she enjoyed doing...she will love to look back on that someday!

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 pm

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:51 pm

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 am

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:00 am

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:11 am

Ramona
User

Re: Kindergarten Portfolio

Postby Ramona » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:16 am

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Try to get your children to complete the same type of assignment a few times throughout the year and keep the responses to show growth. It could be as simple as writing their name, address, telephone number, and a self-portrait or a response to the same writing or drawing prompt such as "I'm special because...". Or have them try to read a list of words and mark off the ones they can read successfully. Have them do it in Sept, Jan, and then again in May.

It is great to look back and see the tremendous improvement over the year and comparing similar assignments helps the changes really stand out. This really helps boost the confidence of both your child and of you as a teacher.
Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks so much for all the responses. I think I have this under control now.

I did come up with an idea over the weekend for both the portfolio and making the kids feel special. Now when we achieve something, like counting to 20 or saying the entire ABC's I print them out a certificate of achievement on the computer. I give them one copy to hang on the wall in their rooms and one for the portfolio. They LOVE getting their certificates! And now I have a way of documenting something in the portfolio that is not on paper yet an accomplishment for the children for their grade level.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:03 am

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:11 pm

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:30 am

hey ophelia, thanks for the topic. i already keep all of my ds's work, but hadn't thought of naming it so formally - "portfolio" - thanks for the idea. so, for now, i've kept everything he has done in a 3-ring binder. he loves to draw, he draws everything under the sun, anything from winnie the pooh's hundred acre wood to spiderman to ANYTHING. the sky's the limit. especially if we read a new book, like we just finished the tales of peter the rabbit, in which, he couldn't wait to draw it & for his special drawings, as i've previously mentioned, he keeps in a special folder (spiderman folder) in a desk drawer in his room. once he draws a picture, (sometimes i don't know what it is) i ask him what he drew & i write that on the back of the picture so that one day when he looks back at his drawings, he'll know what they are. i also try & date them or make him write his name on them.

here's another thought: i always make him write his name on them & his age. so, he writes: Jake 5. do you remember when you were in school, you were assigned a #? well, his age helps him get really good at his #5.

again, thanks for the topic. this was great.

Return to “Recordkeeping / Portfolios”