Reading

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dactyle
User

Reading

Postby dactyle » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:13 pm

What are some good ways or programs to keep a child's reading beyond the status quo.

naturalist4
User

Postby naturalist4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Try recommending books to him that are about things he's interested in. If he finds that reading about things he likes is fun than maybe he will explore other books. Encourage reading and keep books available.
"Lay down true principles and adhere to them inflexibly. Do not be frightened into their surrender."
~Thomas Jefferson

TheresaHPIR
User

Postby TheresaHPIR » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm a firm believer that one of the best ways to improve reading and reading comprehension is simply to read, and read often.

Have the child sign up for his/her OWN library card at the local library and encourage checking out a variety of different books. Mix in some non-fiction with the fiction. Alternate poetry with prose. Choose books in a variety of different subjects and/or genres. Make going to the library a regular, weekly or bi-weekly event.

Building on that...have available different TYPES of reading material. Encourage kids to pick up a newspaper or magazine. Try comic books or graphic novels. Read the backs of cereal boxes, or road signs. Just READ.

Keep a well stocked home library, both for the child AND yourself, and lead by example. I believe my nephew's appreciation for reading comes from the fact that since he was a baby, we not only read to him, but he always saw us with a book in our hands. As he's getting older, I often will read the same book he's reading, or has just finished, so that I can discuss it with him. We've had some hilarious conversations and enjoyed many good books together.

Make reading a game...pick up a copy of 1001 Children's Books to Read Before You Die, and see how many you can get through within a set time frame. As the child gets older, gradually work in the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die edition. Reward with a small treat for goals set.

One strategy I've seen many parents use is rewarding reading with "screen time," either for the TV, computer, or video games. So many minutes/hours of reading equals an equivalent amount of screen time.

If the child is struggling with reading, reading out loud can be good practice. Have the child read to you, a younger sibling, or even a pet or toy. Have them talk about what they read and ask interactive questions.

MMercer
User

Postby MMercer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:31 pm

First let me say that I am a homeschooling mom and an academic coach for students how are struggling with learning disabilities. At home and in my practice, I use the Rediscover the Joy of Learning strategy for Reading Comprehension. I find the this visual strategy works well with every student I work with, even the "at risk" students the have failed in public school.

There is some great info at http://blog.nlpok.com that should help you with the reading strategy.

Mollie Mercer

judyhanning
User

Assisting People with LDs

Postby judyhanning » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:14 am

David Brown
User

Postby David Brown » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 am

Without a doubt finding the child a book that they become engaged with. We can teach them all kinds of methods but if they have a book they love, they will read it on their own accord and when they're finished they'll hopefully be hungry for more :D

judybaker123
User

Postby judybaker123 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 am

I would have to agree and say that when children use books that pop out and that also have rhymes are the most helpful and help your children process and think quicker.
I have some places to check out some books that I recommend.

Best Books for Toddlers
Best Baby Books

Teacher&Coach
User

Postby Teacher&Coach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

I have found that books with color and music can really help as well as word and memory games and challenging reading exercises always help.

As both an Educator and Sport Coach, I find it necessary these days to keep kids challenged and engaged.

I have been using the Reading Genius for Kids (http://readinggenius4kids.com) product and it is excellent. It comes with over 100 books , and my son & daughter can change the colors of the text, challenge themselves with reading exercises and compete ..just like a video game and their reading and more importantly, desire and willingness to read has improved noticeably.

They can also choose from a variety of instrumental music while using it the program. My neighbors noticed it and they bought it for their kids also.. and seem to have similar results.

gilmarie
User

News-O-Matic

Postby gilmarie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:21 pm

What about incorporating News-O-Matic to your school day? It is a fun, interactive daily digital newspaper for kids. They also offer homeschool parents a FREE teacher's guide with each edition. Email info@press4kids.com for the PDF.

Press4Kids is also on twitter! https://twitter.com/Press4Kids

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”