How can I build an impressive reading list for college?

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

socialhomeschooler
User

How can I build an impressive reading list for college?

Postby socialhomeschooler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey guys! I started 11th grade last month and am looking to build a reading list for college. I love reading and do it everyday but I don't like most books. Every once and awhile I find a gem that I go right through but most books I start I end up not finishing because they just bore me. I read about one page of Twilight and stopped because the writing was too jumpy for me.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for books that are both entertaining and will look good to colleges. I started reading Pride and Prejudice and couldn't get into it at all. (I know it's a classic but hey.) What are some books you've loved? I'm looking for compelling, couldn't-put-it-down type books.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:16 pm

mandiana
User

Postby mandiana » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:20 pm

socialhomeschooler
User

Postby socialhomeschooler » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, Theodore. Of the ones I've read, 1984 is my favorite novel of all time, Animal Farm was a fairly enjoyable read, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn I didn't care for so much. I will definitely look into the other books you recommended.

Thanks Mandiana, but personally I don't like books on tape. I prefer to go at my own pace, going back over certain parts, and rushing through others. Audiobooks frustrate me because you can't do that.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:42 am

Well, I did personally prefer Tom Sawyer, but Huckleberry Finn is probably considered more of a classic.

cCedfan
User

Impressive pre-college books

Postby cCedfan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Daniel Alders - Logos Press
www.logospressshop.com

Kalani
User

Postby Kalani » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 pm

How about "The Tale of Genji" by Shikibu Murasaki or "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. Both are Asian Classics. (And if you have an e-reader, they are within the public domain)

TheresaHPIR
User

Postby TheresaHPIR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 am

I know this thread is a couple of years old...but I have a few suggestions if anyone else if facing a similar issue.

Personally, I would take a really good look at both the college you're wanting to attend, and what field of study you plan on entering. These areas can help give you an idea of where to start. Some colleges are more progressive than others, and consider more contemporary or progressive novels just as important as what we generally think of as "the classics"...and of course, picking books that relate to your chosen field of study can show that you're serious about that field, and well-read within it. Further, many colleges have their syllabi for classes posted online. At the very least, you can look up certain classes on the school's bookstore website and see what the required reading is; look up a few entry-level literature classes and see what is being assigned.

For additional inspiration, I'd recommend picking up a copy of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die (or finding an online list). All three editions of this book have some good suggestions from a WIDE variety of opinions and genres. Just a small sampling of books from the list (and other "classics" lists) that I found to be entertaining include:

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2. The Shining
3. Once and Future King
4. The Golden Ass
5. An Ethiopian Love Story (Aithiopika)
6. Dracula
7. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

KnowledgeisPower
User

Postby KnowledgeisPower » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Teacher&Coach
User

Postby Teacher&Coach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Have you seen the Reading Genius Course? It comes with over 600 books ( in the advanced version) and has lots of challenging exercises to help you improve.

They have a version for kids that is great for my 9 & 12 yr olds. I use the adult 2.0 version and the books it comes with would be a great starter for collegiate study.

As well, depending on your desired major... , I would suggest reading a few Biography's of great people in that profession. THta will keep you inspired and help you understand why many of the greats in any profession didn't study it in college.

It sounds strange I know but when you start reading, you will understand. I hope that helps.

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”