Learning to Read

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

3GiftsFromGod
User

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am

wendi.t.momof4
User

McGuffey readers

Postby wendi.t.momof4 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:12 pm

:D So glad you like the McGuffey readers! They really have everything in them and they're very affordable. I've also heard good things of the Sing Spell but it's very costly. Personally, I don't think you need to spend a lot for hs, ever. I also get good used books on ebay often. If you do a search for "Rainbow Resource" you can order their huge catalog which has all the hs books you can read about, discounted. Glad I could help!-Wendi
Wendi:-)
Jeremiah 29;11-13

amird
User

I uses the computer

Postby amird » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:25 pm

I like to program, so I've created a site with games to teach my kids (and others).
I believe in the phonic method.
You can check my site (http://www.la-am.com) but it teaches in Hebrew
[url=http://www.la-am.com/]×”×›× ×” לכיתה ×

alizarine_fox
User

Phonics Rule!

Postby alizarine_fox » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 am

I made the mistake of NOT teaching my oldest daughter phonics when she was little and now she is paying for it in frustration. Everybody said they didn't need phonics back then. :x I have corrected it as much as possible and she is reading well but her spelling and ability to write is greatly harmed by our attempts at whole reading when she was younger. I have since taught her the phonics and the rules and she is improving daily.

I use a modified Spalding method. {All that writing from A Writing Road To Reading seems so tedious for teacher and student} I use the Spalding flashcards, and then I made a game out of paper cards that have the letters as well as the blends and we spell out different words, sentences etc. while sounding out the letters and blend sounds. I also teach the rules {29 of them}.

I also do worksheets with my son that have a picture in a box and he writes the word that goes with it or sometimes it has a word in the box and he draws the picture that goes with it or sometimes he picks his own word writes it and draws the picture. He enjoys this last one because he feels he has the power of choice over it.
To learn is life's greatest adventure!
reverendgaea

alizarine_fox
User

the 29 rules

Postby alizarine_fox » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 am

1. The letter q is always followed by u and together they say /kw/. (The u is not a vowel here.)
2. The letter c before ‘e, i, or y’ says /s/ (cent, city, cycle) but followed by any other vowel says /k/ (cat, cot, cut).
3. The letter g before ‘e, i, or y’ may say /j/ (page, giant, gym), but followed by any other vowel it says /g/(gate, go, gust). The letters e and i do not always make g say /j/ (get, girl, give).
4. Vowels a, e, o, and u usually say their long sounds at the end of syllables. (Open Syllables – na vy, me, o pen, mu sic)
5. The letters i and y usually say short i, but may say long /i/. In some areas, the i and y can also say /ee/ and even /ya/ – (baby, police, alien, onion)
6. The letter y, not i, is used at the end of an English word. (my, fry, reply)
7. There are five kinds of Silent E’s.
Silent E # 1: Used in E-controlled syllables. The E makes the vowel say its name – time, rate, complete, delete cope cute kite create
Silent E # 2: No English word can end with V or U, so this E protects us from breaking the rule – love, blue, cave, clue (I expect that some of you asking, "What about flu?" Well, that is only a syllable that we, in laziness, borrowed from the word influenza. And, you and thou actually end with the phonogram ‘ou.’)
Silent E # 3: Softens C’s and G’s so that they say their second sound. When C is followed by E (or I or Y) it says /s/ – chance, nicely; when G is followed by E (or I or Y) it may say /j/ – charge, manageable,
Silent E # 4: Every English syllable must have a vowel, so this E fills that role in these types of words and syllables – cas-tle, bat-tle, rat-tle lit-tle
Silent E # 5: No Job/Odd Job E – In a word like ‘are’ the E helps us see that we are reading a word, not reading the phonogram /ar/. In a word like ‘raise’ the E helps us see that we are not reading the plural of some odd word, ‘rai.’ (One rai; two rais…) In some words it is difficult to note a reason for the E so we think of the E’s in such words as having ‘no job.’ Many E’s are leftovers from Old English and were probably once pronounced.

8. There are five spellings for /er/: Her first nurse works early. In addition, at the ends of words like dollar and doctor, the –ar and –or will often say /er/.
9. The 1-1-1 Rule
A word like ‘hop’ has: 1-syllable; 1-vowel; followed by 1-consonant; so…double the consonant before adding an ending that begins with a vowel. hop-ping (The 1-1-1 Rule)
A word like ‘begin’ has the accent on the final syllable, so analyze that final syllable according to the 1-1-1 Rule; if it meets the criteria, double the consonant before adding an ending that begins with a vowel. be-gin-ning
10. The 2-1-1 Rule
A word like ‘enter’ has the accent on the first syllable, so do not double the consonant before adding an ending. en-ter-ing
With a word like ‘hope’: write the word without the ‘e,’ then add the ending that begins with a vowel – hoping. If the ending begins with a consonant, keep the ‘e’ – hopeful. **Remember to keep the ‘e’ if it is needed to soften a C or G: changeable changing.
11. Words ending with silent final e (come) are written without the e when adding an ending that begins with a vowel (com ing).
12. After c we use ei (receive). If we say a, we use ei (vein). In the list of exceptions we use ei. In all other words, the phonogram ie is used.
Methodically, students should be taught the complete rhyme, "I before E, except after C; unless it says A as in neighbor and weigh" plus the short list of exceptions – "Neither foreign sovereign seized (the) counterfeit (and) forfeited leisure," plus "either, weird, protein, heifer."
13. The phonogram sh is used at the beginning or end of a base word (she, dish), at the end of a syllable (fin ish), but never at the beginning of a syllable after the first one except for the ending ship (wor ship, friend ship).
14. The phonograms ti, si and ci are the spellings most frequently used to say /sh/ at the beginning of a second or subsequent syllable in a base word. Usually the root word, or root stem, will determine which phonogram to use: face/fa cial; nat(birth)/na tion; sess(sit)/ses sion.

15. The phonogram si is used to say /sh/ when the syllable before it ends in an s (ses sion) or when the base word has an s where the base word changes (tense, ten sion).
16. The phonogram si may also say /zh/ as in vi sion.
17. We often double l, f, and s following a single vowel at the end of a one-syllable word (will, off, miss) and sometimes this also applies to two-syllable words like recess.
18. We often use ay to say /a/ at the end of base word; never use a alone. (day, may, say)
19. Vowels i and o may say /i/ and /o/ if followed by two consonants (find, cold).
20. The letter s never follows x. (x = ks)
21. All, written alone, has two l’s, but when used as a prefix, one l is dropped. (al so, al most)
22. Till and full, written alone, have two l’s, but when used as a suffix, only one l is written. (un til; beau ti ful)
23. The phonogram dge may be used only after a single vowel that says its short sound (badge, edge, bridge, lodge, budge).
24. When adding an ending to a word that ends with a consonant and y, use i instead of y unless the ending is ing. (marry/marriage; carry/carrying)
25. The phonogram ck may be used only after a single vowel that says its short sound (back, neck, lick, rock, duck).
26. Words that are the names or title of people, places, books, days or months are capitalized.
27. Words beginning with the sound /z/ are always spelled with z, and never with s. (zero, zoo)
28. The phonogram ed has three different sounds - /ed/ /d/ /t/. If a base word ends in the sound /d/ or /t/, adding ed makes another syllable that says /ed/ (sid ed, part ed). If the base word ends in a voiced consonant sound, then ending ed says /d/ (lived, loved). If the base word ends in an unvoiced consonant sound, the ending ed says /t/ (jumped, passed, wrecked).
29. Words are usually divided between double consonants. For speaking and reading, only the consonant in the accented syllable is pronounced; the consonant in the unaccented syllable is silent (little/lit’ le; battle/bat’ le)
:idea: :idea:

reverendgaea

alizarine_fox
User

Flashcards

Postby alizarine_fox » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:19 am

I have set up flashcards in a word program that can be printed out... they have all the 77 phonic letters and blends plus the rules. The front of the cards have the letter or blend and the back has the sounds, an example and any coinciding rules. There are also separate rule cards. I even spell better after doing this with two of my kids so far.

I am more than happy to send them to people who want or need them.

reverendgaea

bedashwood
User

bob books

Postby bedashwood » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:12 pm

3GiftsFromGod
User

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:06 am

Miguelsmommy
User

Postby Miguelsmommy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:14 am

gilmarie
User

News-O-Matic

Postby gilmarie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I've incorporated News-O-Matic to my school day. It's a fun, interactive daily digital newspaper for kids. They also offer a FREE teacher's guide to homeschool parents. Simply email info@press4kids.com for the PDF.

My kids love this app and are actually excited to read. They spend 30-45 minutes every day reading the articles. With this app, they learn new vocabulary and current events!

Their also on twitter! https://twitter.com/Press4Kids

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”