Can someone teach me about pH in the soil science?

Plant, animal, or mineral?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Buggzz
User

Can someone teach me about pH in the soil science?

Postby Buggzz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:31 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:48 am

Buggzz
User

Postby Buggzz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:00 am

The concept of ANC came up in the first few lines, and described as a 'buffering agent. Key on the highlight and the additional info of ANC comes up. This is what I can't begin to figure out just what is the point the author is trying to make. :

"...Decomposition of organic material releases carbon dioxide and thus increases the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide. An increase in carbon dioxide decreases pH but has no effect on ANC. Organic acids, often expressed as dissolved organic carbon (DOC), also decrease pH and have no effect on ANC. Soil water in the upper layers usually have higher organic content than the lower soil layers. Surface waters with high DOC are typically found in areas where there is a lot of peat and bogs in the catchment. "

From there they talk about number 3 'the aluminum factor' and say that's a bit trickier.
So I guess the author assumes I understand something that makes sense of his explanation. What am I missing? Thanks.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 am

ANC was the part that confused me too. How can you make something more acidic and not affect its ability to resist changes in acidity? We need a chemist in here.

Buggzz
User

Postby Buggzz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 am

Well, thanks for trying. I will just keep reading various aspects of it, until the eureka moment strikes.

Return to “Science”