home school time is good for littil child

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jastincamp

home school time is good for littil child

Postby jastincamp » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:39 am

(Moderator) Account is spam bot, probably copying post from somewhere else. Thread stays due to replies.

We started homeschool in Sept so we are fairly new at it. We choose A Beka. We have a 5th grader, 4th grader and kindergarten student. Right away I noticed that math would be too difficult so I moved down a grade for math (ie. 4th, and 3rd).
Problem: my kids don't want to 'learn' from me. My daughter is having difficulty GETTING division and each time I explain it to her she gets frustrated and tunes out. We have been doing division for over a month and she still doesn't get it : I have been very patient with her .. I sit there and watch and when she makes the wrong desision I correct her hoping she will learn to make the right moves on her own.
Our son depends on me for english. He is learning about subjects, adverbs and adjectives. He doesn't do a question without me... when I leave the table he just waits... if I ask him to continue he says he doesn't understand that one.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:33 am

Sometimes a curriculum is not a good fit for a child. I know we went through a few before finding companies that let my child flourish.

Have you thought about something with a video curriculum for your daughter? We used Math U See with great success. A dvd introduces each topic, the child works on it, and then teaches the parent before moving on.

English was a little harder to find a good fit, but at different times Writing Tales and Writing Strands both worked for my son. We moved away from WS for a bit to work on bare bones language arts to get him comfortable with writing, and then when we switched back he was doing ten times better than he ever had.

There's a lot of curricula out there to wade through, but it's easy to pare down once you know their learning styles and needs.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

dkocur
User

Postby dkocur » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm

I had a similar situation with my oldest daughter. There's a neat long division tutorial at http://www.coolmath4kids.com/long-division/long-division-lesson-1.html My daughter had to go through it several times, but she eventually got it.

fabiola
User

Postby fabiola » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”