Getting fed up - need to vent!

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Country3Mom
User

Getting fed up - need to vent!

Postby Country3Mom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm

The usual method is to mail a Letter of Intent to the school superintendent (certified mail, just in case), as well as letting your son's teachers know you're pulling him out so there's no confusion regarding truancy. Further requirements depend on what state you're in, there may be things like recordkeeping and yearly standardized testing.

Regarding the hearing problem, can't you just use a hearing aid while teaching your son? Hearing aids have been miniaturized to the point where they're relatively small and inexpensive, it's not like you have to walk around with an ear trumpet :)

Country3Mom
User

Postby Country3Mom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm in Texas. Hearing aid doesn't work for me, thanks for the suggestion though. I lip read most of the time with people I know well, but use sign language as my main method of communication. I also have bilateral cochlear implant, but am not using them since I don't like them very well, and it is too stimulating for me. I don't wish to go into further details since it is a long story, but point is, hearing aids/cochlear implant isn't the issue to teach a child. I have a Deaf friend who homeschools her children and has been doing that for the last 10 years. I have a BA college degree (in Deaf Studies). My son and I sometimes have communication issues because he has a hard time remembering signs, and his memory is very poor. My 5 year old and 2 year old are pretty fluent signers. But, my son has to be reminded over and over.

My question was just to see how do I go from here to get homeschool started if I do decide to start earlier like after spring break in March. I just also found out that there will be a parent-teacher's conference for me to meet with my son's and daughter's teacher on Feb. 17th. I'm wondernig do I bring up the possibility of homeschooling or do I wait when I decide to pull out? I may just let my daughter stay in the school system till the end of the year since she is doing well, and just pull out only my son.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi Country3Mom,

First off, >>hugs<< to you for dealing with the school system. It can be a major pain. One of the many 'last straws' for me when deciding to homeschool my kids was when we got a letter saying if my son missed one more day of school I would have to appear before a judge for turancy!!! My son was sick for goodness sake! And a doctor is not always needed. A mother knows when her child should be kept at home.

As for your home state I don't know the rules for pulling them out of school off hand but you can probally find out here

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

If it were me I would pull him out as soon as I legally could. You can always research while you homeschool. I've been doing this for 2 years now and I'm still figureing things out. It may save you a trip to court and make life easier in the meantime.

I homeschool all 3 of my children. My oldest 2 are complete oppisites. But both excel now that they are home. My son had trouble accidemicaly in school partly because of this tourettes syndrome. My daughter was a perfect straight A student. So, it doesn't always have to be just the one kid having trouble that does well at homeschool.

And as far as your hearing disability. I say it's no biggie. I mean, you've raised your kids this far haven't you? Where there is a will there is a way! I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Good luck to you!!

Country3Mom
User

Postby Country3Mom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for your input Miss Kristy. I appreciate your feedback. It helps to know your experience :-)

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”