Keeping the Interest

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

judyhanning
User

Keeping the Interest

Postby judyhanning » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 am

Hi Everyone,

When you and your children are doing your lessons, how do you keep them interested in what they are doing? Sometimes, it gets to be frustrating when we do not get the result we want. I want to make sure that I am able to give my children the lessons they need to learn and still have fun.

Thanks,
Judy

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Depends on the child and the subject. Boys are motivated more by competition, so adding a competitive element may help there. Certain subjects (science, history, etc.) can be spiced up quite a bit by watching documentaries or historical dramas. There's also lots of real-life things you can do, like growing plants (I enjoyed growing peas, tomatoes, corn, etc. when I was younger - turns out burying a fish does in fact make corn grow taller...), visiting the science museum or zoo, etc.

If it's just workbooks, keep the sessions fairly short for the more boring subjects. Attention usually starts to wane after 30-45 minutes, and there's no need to cram if you're homeschooling year-round (which I highly recommend)).

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

brookeh9
User

Postby brookeh9 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 am

mindy8
User

Be silly

Postby mindy8 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I tend to act silly to keep engaged. While we read lessons or discuss things they seem to appreciate silly voices or odd comments that might be made by the people in the lesson - this especially works well in history.

RPascal206
User

Some Ideas to Make Learning Fun!

Postby RPascal206 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Here are some ideas that my mom used for me and/or that I or my sister have used with our siblings:

1) When teaching children how to read, make it colorful—you can make your own little stories and/or flash cards using colored markers. Note that this can also be used for math (e.g. multiplication tables).

2) Draw! Children LOVE it when you draw in front of them—you really don’t have to be Leonardo da Vinci—simple little drawings will do. :wink:

3) Make puppets and/or little toys that will “talkâ€
The Lord has greatly blessed me: I am the oldest daughter of ten children, and I LOVE it!
My family's blog is: http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/

SaraG23
User

Some Ideas

Postby SaraG23 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 am

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”