Charlotte Mason Opinions? Other methods?

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Xapis10
User

Charlotte Mason Opinions? Other methods?

Postby Xapis10 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:43 pm

I am starting to look at what to buy to start homeschooling (son just turned 5). In reading about different methods, I know we are not unschoolers. I don't think we will go with the classical method either.

Charlotte Mason intrigues me, but I struggle with reading that EACH of her 20 points must be followed. If I am not willing to commit to that, should I look at other methods, or is it common to take only 3/4 of her advice? I guess the idea that she must be strictly followed feels a bit cultish, and makes me wary of it.

I like a Biblical foundation for history, for life, etc. I like a manipulative approach to math that teaches a student to think through for themselves how it all works, instead of memorizing formulas (not that I'm against all memorization for other purposes). I believe in using phonics to learn to read. I like hands-on things, but I also believe in lots of reading and not too much video/internet. But when I say "reading," I am not talking about requiring the "classics" that supposedly every person must read, because these were not necessarily voted upon by people with a Biblical worldview. What category of homeschool method does this sound like? (or combination of methods?)

Thanks so much for ANY help :)

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:18 pm

No one except Miss Mason herself followed every jot and tittle she prescribed. :D

I think you should do as much as you can and let the rest go.

Have you seen Ambleside Online? That seems to be a pretty good CM site. :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:26 pm

The homeschooling method you described is called "eclectic". That just means you will be using a combination of several different methods. That is what I've always done. I am a lot like you. I can't bring myself to be a total unschooler, I combine different methods and I really like some of Charlotte Mason's ideas - but I definitely don't follow all of them. That's okay!

Best wishes!

Xapis10
User

Postby Xapis10 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Maybe I should clarify a bit that I know I can pick and choose from Charlotte Mason if I want :) I just wonder why she (or is it just her followers...) is so strict about following it all. Is there something at the core of her beliefs that is weird there? Something that taints her points and overall method? I guess I'm wondering if she really had a similar Biblical worldview that I have.
Thanks for the input so far :)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 am

Well... it may only be Charlotte Mason-ish if you're following 3/4 of the principles, but practically speaking, that's up to you. The nice thing about homeschooling is that you - not the state, or the federal government, or any subset of homeschoolers - have total control over the education of your children.

Llola
User

Postby Llola » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Take a little of this method, and a little of that method and create your own homeschooling method.

I'm an eclectic homeschool mom. I pick and choose whatever I think will work for my kids.

I recommend reserving a copy of 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum from your local library.

southernlover
User

It doesn't matter

Postby southernlover » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 am

satiglenn
User

Postby satiglenn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 am

Sati, of Rows and Roses- fine, custom crochet.
Visit me on Facebook, or check out my shop:
Www.hyenacart.com/rowsandroses

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”