Why an umbrella school?

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jennm2203
User

Why an umbrella school?

Postby jennm2203 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Even though we are perfectly happy with the choice we made, I understand that homeschooling and the vast options out there are subject to individual people and family choices. We are all different and have different views, beliefs etc.

My question is aimed toward the families who have decided to go with an umbrella school over homeschooling on your own.
Why did you choose that option? Also, do you pay?

(I have talked to many who pay anywhere form a nominal fee to over $200 for umbrella school.)
I am just curious as to the pros and cons of umbrella schooling vs' homeschooling on your own.

Thank you for your time!
Jenn

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:30 am

It's mainly for convenience. The umbrella school lets you homeschool under the private school law rather than the regular homeschool law, meaning a lot less legal requirements (less paperwork). For parents with limited time, it's easily worth a nominal fee. Given, for $200 you better get a lot more than just the paperwork covered. $200 usually includes testing, regular meetings and field trips, newsletter, etc.

jennm2203
User

Postby jennm2203 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:35 am

Ok I understand and also let me give a little back ground.

We are in Florida, and other than a simple letter of intent and keeping of our materials for our portfolio at the end of the year (and possible inspection during the year) and keeping it up to date, we have no real paperwork and no official testing to worry about. Also as a private homeschooler we do not have to worry about attendance or hours logged in. From all the meetings we have attended and calls we have made, as long as she shows good progress as compared to her age and grade level and continues to progress they are happy and allow us to continue. Here in Florida we do have it pretty easy compared to some other states.

Then as far as meetings, that is why we have local support groups and field trips are a family thing for us and I would not want to miss out on the one on one time and have to worry about being part of a group. So again this is going back to just personal preference.

See, from our standpoint and due to the state we live in, being under an umbrella school or similar does not seem logical because it puts many rules and regulations back on the family. Even though yes, that umbrella school takes care of most of the paper work etc and makes it easier during the end of year process other than the testing part… it seems to be not much different than P.S. other than it is done at home…. Following most of the same rules as P.S.

So I guess it all depends on what state you are in... Am I correct? And of course personal preference.

I know this should have been a no brainer, but I like to hear other people’s views on this. There are so many options.

Thank you for replying, I sure hope I am not annoying...lol
Jenn

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Yes, if you're in an easy state, there may not be any benefit in terms of legal requirements to paying money to be part of an umbrella school. That doesn't necessarily mean, of course, that some parents may not be willing to pay $200 anyway to get access to all the extra stuff, but $200 is more or less the upper boundary.

Tracey
User

Umbrella Schooling

Postby Tracey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:03 pm

magdalena
User

Postby magdalena » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:08 pm

We live in Spain where homeschooling isn't fully legal (constitution says yes, education law says no) so an umbrella school is a good option. It's a school, albeit a distant-learning one, and all legal aspects are covered in case anybody asks quesions.

The umbrella school here in Spain is part of the Clonlara School in the US. It's €600 a year for the family and although they offer a curriculum, it's only suggestive and not obligatory.
Julia, unschooling mum to Gemma (6/05) and Benny (5/07)

Ourschool Forum - European Homeschoolers in Spain

daddys3chicks
User

Postby daddys3chicks » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 am

Cheryl

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

daddys3chicks
User

Postby daddys3chicks » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 am

Thanks for the info!
Cheryl

Eva
User

Postby Eva » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm in Florida, too. My girls are in the public school system right now, but I will HS my oldest (she'll be in 3rd grade) next year. I've been looking at all the different options available to us, and I think if my dd were older I would go with an umbrella school. I like that they give transcripts and that they make sure we are doing the required work to graduate. I do see that as a benefit of an umbrella school. For right now, though, we will just go the private HS route.

Eva

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 pm

Jo from Australia

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 am

The term "umbrella school", as used by homeschoolers here in the US, means a support group not affiliated with the public school system, one that fulfills the private school qualifications sufficiently so that families can homeschool under the private school laws - often much easier from a legal standpoint than homeschooling on your own. In your case, you're doing regular homeschooling with rather restrictive oversight from the public school system, probably on par with the worst states here or maybe a bit worse.
Last edited by Theodore on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”