online/inhome homeschool tutors

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

john
User

online/inhome homeschool tutors

Postby john » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Curious to know how many homeschoolers would consider trying in-home tutors or online tutors to supplement their child's education. And, if any one could help... what are homeschool parents looking for when they hire a tutor whether online or in-home.

Thanks for your wisdom!

ScottHughes
User

Postby ScottHughes » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:38 pm

bbaron312
User

Postby bbaron312 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 am

Things like google and wikipedia tend to not produce quality, accredited information that a online-school database does provide. On-line tutoring is the same as having a tutor, only direct correspondence is done via a computer and not face to face.
-Brandon
Join me at Etutor.com!

fastturtle
User

Postby fastturtle » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 pm

besides offering static educational information, one of the important factors of tutoring is to help student with live questions. unless the student has a really high self-learning skills, a tutor online or offline should be very helpful.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 pm

There are some subjects better learned with a teacher helping, whether that's a parent, a professor at the local community college, or a tutor. Personally, I enjoyed my community college courses, you get to interact with other students and it's a better option than tutoring imho unless health or transportation issues prevent you from taking outside courses.

Regarding Wikipedia, it's generally quite accurate except in the areas of politics, morality, or commercial products. I've used it a fair bit and found its academic entries to be accurate and certainly comprehensive, I'm not sure why some people rate it so low. College textbooks often contain inaccuracies as well, but you're stuck with the given text - people can't post updates in real time to fix things.

SimpleSchooling
User

Postby SimpleSchooling » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:07 am

Simple Schooling - It IS coming! Look for us in early 2009.

ploppenheimer.mcgee
User

Postby ploppenheimer.mcgee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:50 pm

D WALL
User

Postby D WALL » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:32 am

rebecca7
User

Postby rebecca7 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:26 pm

If I really felt that my child needed it, I'd probably consider it. But it would ultimately depend on the cost.

ruby.mein
User

Postby ruby.mein » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:58 pm

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 am

An online tutor could be very useful, especially if you are physically isolated from other homeschoolers. I'm sure most homeschool teachers do a great job but you can't be an expert in everything.

I would definitely check their credentials though, and there may be the possibility of just doing particular modules with them to supplement your own studies.

For instance, you might be an okay writer, but want to give your children a chance to be a better one. How can you teach someone to be better than you without utilising other resources? Utilising someone who can elevate your child's sentence structure and inspire them to look at things more critically and make links in subtext that they wouldn't otherwise make, can be a Godsend.

Of course it depends on the topic, the level that you child is at, and the resources you have at your disposal.

Good luck!
Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

romanwrigley
User

online tutoring

Postby romanwrigley » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:02 pm

John,

IMO a tutor can be seen as just another resource for homeschooling parents to use. And the most important quality for a tutor to have is effectiveness!
FREE Demonstration Of Our Online Tutoring Classroom With Full Voice. Boost your Child's Grades Today. Go to http://www.TutorFi.com/parents

Buggzz
User

Postby Buggzz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Tutors are for many different reasons in education. The primary being to find and fill in the blanks of one's understanding of subject matter. Another is to put ideas into proper context, so those ideas can be used to analyse correctly in digging deeper into subject matter.
The concept of having another POV is also useful.

LloydBurrell
User

Postby LloydBurrell » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 am

I guess they are a good option as long as he or she keeps track-together with parents-of the child's education. Essential qualities are, from my point of view, flexibility, style and empathy. Quite the same with the ones needed in regular teaching.

LloydBurrell

Buggzz
User

Postby Buggzz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:13 am

I agree with flexibility, style, and empathy as long as, fexibility doesn't mean, flexible worldviews. You definately need one that shares your worldview.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”