What does England teach about US history?

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ncmom
User

What does England teach about US history?

Postby ncmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:56 pm

My family and I were watching a special the other day and it got us thinking. We know what our history book says about why the colonist left England and we know what our history says followed, but what does England teach happened?

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:23 am

A thought provoking question...
Jill

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 pm

I would really love to know the answer to this question so if there is anyone from England or someone who has studied there who could answer it, that would be great. I would also LOVE to get my hands on an English history book with this information in it if anyone knows where I could get one.

These are just some of the things I am curious about. Feel free to elaborate on things that aren't listed here even if it is something that we might not teach in our books.

What do they teach about the Revolutionary War?
How do they portray the King's part in all this?
What about the Boston Tea Party?
What do they teach about when we finally declared our independence?
How about the religion aspect of it?
And all those other things that are in our books...what do they learn happened? and what are they taught was the reason for the colonist leaving in the first place?

There are always two sides to every story and they are rarely the same, so I am just really curious as to what their side is.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:49 am

My fifth grader is in the midst of studying this time period. I would love to hear the other side of the story, too.

Anybody?

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:51 pm

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Activities_Director
User

Postby Activities_Director » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm

That is a good question. I visited Boston a few years ago and learned all about it from an American perspective but I often wondered the same thing. What do they teach happened.

jannajohnson891
User

Postby jannajohnson891 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 am

I have read the history books in the UK, it is not very different. There is written that all the criminals escaped from the Uk to escape the prisin and execution. I wrote an for essaywriter.org reviews about differences in history books in different countires, the most interesting parts are in the USSR history books, it seems that everyone in the US wants to kill them and destroy their perfect society :D
janna johnson

Return to “History”